Jump to content

Mike Pierceall

Members
  • Posts

    518
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Mike Pierceall

  1. Date of manufacturer January 31, 1954. Nickle plated ends. Anglo. No idea of value. I'm not an Anglo player, but someone will know.
  2. I use 1/4 inch Baltic Birch from Rockler and used rabbet joints. This is my video from about 3 years ago. I've made about a half dozen of these cases. Video is here:
  3. It seems to match up fairly closely with one way of estimating Lachenals: 17642 Divided by 769 = 23 + 1850 = 1873. Although from year to year production would vary, so always good to establish some milestones.
  4. Sound files are useful, particularly something that demonstrates the responsiveness of the reeds. You might expand your market beyond a limited range of prospective buyers that live close by.
  5. Sometimes referred to as "The Harvest Anthem," "To Thee, O Lord, Our Hearts We Raise" was written by William Dix in 1863. This is my arrangement for English concertina here:
  6. Thanks, Don. Here is the link to the video: Not Vivaldi, though. It's one of my own. Not sure who I was channeling.
  7. I wonder if the possibility of error would not have been the reason for the design change. Maintaining the accuracy of the equipment and having experienced operators might have become problematic. A dwindling marketplace would have driven cost-cutting measures. Maybe the reject pile was just getting too high.
  8. Thank you, Don. ET in standard pitch, i.e., A440.
  9. Thank you, Eric. I appreciate the added information. Although your father likely did not re-tune the instrument, he undoubtedly would have known where to refer major work on his students' instruments. There were two labels on the instrument case - the name and address of the owner, and the name and location of your father's studio. Mike
  10. One last video for the year, played on this wonderful Wheatstone 5A from 1918 that I restored. To all my friends and followers in the concertina world, have a happy New Year! here:
  11. Wow! This is the first concertina I've heard of that actually goes that low. I look forward to hearing it. Meanwhile, I'll check that my home insurance covers earthquake damage. I want one! I want one! But I'm sure if Jim has never heard of one prior, there's no chance of that. That largest reed I ever had to move air through was a pedal bass in a reed organ I restored, but I had the advantage of being able to use my legs instead of my spindly arms.
  12. Thank you, John. The additional notes bring the instrument up to D# in the 7th position. The lowest note is, as typical for a TT, C below middle C. It is unusual in that most extended TT's I've seen are 64-key instruments.
  13. Thank you, Don. The sound is as-recorded. No post processing. The action is the standard Lachenal hook action. This is the second set of bellows I've made for this instrument. The first set used a heavier-weight card stock that was not entirely to my liking. I used a thinner and harder card stock for this set, which gives the instrument a brighter tone.
  14. This is an instrument I've been restoring on and off for the past couple of years. I installed a new set of bellows today. This is an impromptu video here:
  15. The ends seem to have been repaired with PVA glue, which would make proper repair with hide glue problematic as the two don't mix. As long as the previous repairs are holding, I would leave well enough alone as undoing PVA joints would likely fracture the ends into bits and pieces. I have successfully used very thin cotton twill cloth soaked in liquid hide glue to reinforce open fractures from the underside. If you attempt to compress the cracks back together, you may well open up other cracks.
  16. Thanks, Don. I write everything out during the arrangement process... including the improvisations
  17. My offering this year for the holiday season here:
  18. A version for English concertina here:
  19. HI, Wolf. Feedback appreciated. I went back and forth between my Aeola, which has a mellower tone but is less responsive and the 5A, which has a hair-trigger response, but can be difficult to throttle back. In the end I used the 5A because the bellows I made for it can supply the air to carry out those long phrases. The arrangement itself went through perhaps 25 drafts. I'm still making changes! It might be fascinating (or not) to make a video that gives some insight into the arranging process. At any rate, I'll continue to fine tune the execution, and thanks for your observations.
  20. It's a lullaby, but the not the one that is usually associated with Brahms. Just an excerpt, played on my 1909 treble Aeola. Here:
×
×
  • Create New...