Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About charleschar

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Interests
    Accordion & concertina building/repair
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

235 profile views
  1. Very interesting! If the aim is to deliver the experience of building a working instrument for a low cost, though, I am curious as to why it was designed with 12 sides, as I would think that adding more components to the build would drive up the price.
  2. I suppose that's a reasonable perspective to consider.
  3. I am curious whether it would be feasible to sell duets that have a beginner-friendly price tag but also enough range to justify buying one over an Anglo. It seems to me that the general lowest button count for duet concertinas is around 35 buttons, which is the number of buttons on the smallest Crane in the Crane & Sons Crane tutor (though I'm sure that smaller ones exist) and 1 button more than the Concertina Connection Elise, so I think it would be relatively reasonable to say that this is where a lot of beginner-priced instruments would be at. While this may not be the experience for e
  4. I used a long and wide strip of leather with glue on the grain side and wrapped it around the circumference of the bellows frame to join the ends of the bellows and the frame together. My homemade crane duet video has a section in it that shows this. I would recommend first using strips of bookbinder's tape or linen to join the bellows to the frame and then attaching the leather on top. Bob Tedrow also made an excellent walkthrough on how he does this here: http://hmi.homewood.net/twitterzephyr/zephyr8/
  5. Wow, this is quite amazing. I'm a bit surprised that there are only 5 folds on the bellows for an instrument with a range like this, and the fact that it is double-action is impressive. I suppose it makes sense to have concertina reeds for the bass end, as many more bass concertina reeds could be placed in the same amount of space as bulky, rectangular bass accordion reeds, since they can be placed much more freely radially. The "Primo" reeds, on the other hand, can be accordion reeds because the amount of space saved by switching to concertina reeds would probably be much less for higher note
  6. Here's an example of what I think OP is referring to seen in a single action Wheatstone (no 612): There is a central hole in the action board which has a leather valve on the other side to allow for air to come in on the pull. The buttons which are in the middle are supported on "peninsulas". Here's more information about this concertina: https://www.concertinamuseum.com/CM00015g.htm Not too sure why a standard size treble concertina would be single-action though. Maybe these earlier ones were just experiments to see what worked before a larger, lower concertina was built.
  7. Have you visited this page? There is a vast archive of documentation on many types of concertinas, including extensive photos of the inner workings of each. Search "Jedcertina" with Ctrl +F and you'll find a concertina just like the aforementioned. https://www.concertinamuseum.com/cmusindex1.htm
  8. I see. Good point about using the high Eb on the right side. Thanks.
  9. Well, in that case, thank you for the idea! Yes, I too find the low B to be useful for the same reasons you state, though I do occasionally appreciate the low Eb for B major and maybe the occasional C minor or Eb major. I could definitely see the use of the low G. If you don't mind me asking, what other changes/additions are you planning for your new Crane?
  10. Thank you. I was more partial to natural notes when creating the note layout, as I tend to play in common keys like C and G, though there certainly are instances where it is annoying to not have the 2nd Eb or F# on the left hand and having to play it on the right hand instead. I also borrowed Alex Holden's idea of having some "Anglo-style notes" on the lower C# and Eb buttons, which also play a low A and B respectively depending on the push/pull. May in the future retune the lower C# to a Bb.
  11. Glad you enjoyed it! I was the the creator of the concertina and the video. The instrument was designed to be built without proper reedpans, sort of like a Tedrow accordion-reeded concertina, so the reedpan is connected directly to the action board, with slots for the accordion reeds to fit around on the underside, rather than sunken chambers with walls like on a traditionally-reeded concertina.
  12. I agree with the saw idea; depending on the intensity of your work, a foot-powered scroll saw would be useful for cutting fretwork in ends or other small pieces.
  13. Thank you. I forgot to mention the end plates in the post. Since they have no fretwork, the end plates are separate from the action walls (screwed on) and there is enough of a gap where they join to allow for air to move in. Not the best design, and I'd do fretwork in the future, but it was convenient for a first instrument.
  14. Thank you, I'm glad you liked the sound. Yes, I would like to make another in the future with more range. I like playing both bass and melody on concertinas, so I may experiment with making a duet or a 30+ button anglo.
  15. Hello everyone. I've neglected to post this for quite a while now, seeing as this was completed in the summer of 2019, but I've finished building a 24 (+ air) button anglo concertina from fairly regular house materials, except for a few tools that needed to be made for the process, and piccolo reeds from an old accordion. This may not be an instrument of great quality and I do not necessarily promote the practices shown in the video to make or repair quality concertinas, but I feel that I have done a good job of making a reasonable quality instrument that plays well and have learned some new b
  • Create New...