George Braque Playing His Concertina

Hello Folks

A photo that always inspired me way before I took up the Anglo was a photo of the great french painter George Braque playing his concertina in his studio. This version isn't so clear but it's the best I can do. The photo is in the Picasso retrospective catalog (ca. 1980) at the NYMoma.

richard and Henk

I too have loved this photo; my copy is in "'Primitivism' in 20th century art" (W. Rubin, ed., The Museum of Modern Art, NY), the 2 volume catalog from a very interesting exhibit.

I have been unable to find out if Braque played seriously or if the concertina was mainly another of the inspirational artifacts he kept around the studio. Maybe someone here knows?

Paul

Edited by Paul Groff

...I came across the blind girl by Millais.

Yeah, that one has been showing up with ever-increasing frequency recently, including usually at least one copy (always a print; never the original) on eBay, like this one.

There must be more links to concertina-related pictures and artworks.

I've seen a few, but not many. A couple of authors have been pictured with them, though I can't think of the names right now.

But here's one in one of Braque's paintings.

I have been unable to find out if Braque played seriously or if the concertina was mainly another of the inspirational artifacts he kept around the studio

Look at his hands and fingers in the photo we're discussing. In spite of the poor resolution and contrast, it's clear to me that he's actually playing it, and knows what he's about. The instrument looks English made, and his finger positions suggest to me that he's playing a duet of some sort. And unless he's a tiny man I would guess from the size that it's about 60 buttons, give or take a few.

I too have loved this photo; my copy is in "'Primitivism' in 20th century art" (W. Rubin, ed., The Museum of Modern Art, NY), the 2 volume catalog from a very interesting exhibit.

Paul, can you (or any of the rest of you) provide a higher-resolution/better-contrast copy of that photo? Please! :)

• 1 month later...
George Braque did countless renditions of guitars, mandolins, an occasional violin.  Anyone know of a rendition of a concertina?  If not, I wonder why not.

That's funny. I thought I had posted this link in this thread quite some time ago, but now I only find myself referring to it in the "Concertinas in Art" Topic. So let me put it here, now:

Braque painting

That's funny.  I thought I had posted this link in this thread quite some time ago, but now I only find myself referring to it in the "Concertinas in Art" Topic.  So let me put it here, now:

Braque painting

Jim,

Maybe you overlooked it, but you did give a link before on April 1 :D

But here's one in one of Braque's paintings.

So there is nothing wrong with your memory (and mine as well, because I was sure that I saw this picture in this forum) ;) ;)

• 11 years later...

Did anybody figure out what kind of concertina Millais's Blind Girl was playing?

It was one of the very basic German ones that were apparently flooding the English market at that time. I believe list member Stephen Chambers has one exactly like it in his collection.

Cheers,

John