331 replies to this topic

#325 m3838

m3838

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2629 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

Umm, hi, I noticed that the recording by Alan Day labeled "Mario Brothers" is actually Tetris.

~Terra

After a Christmas Weekend of listening to me Nephew playing on his Super Mario Brothers game the tune stuck in my head and our group GIGCB tried it for Circassion Circle and was fantastic for this dance.It was after it was posted on Henk's site that the real name of the tune was pointed out to me by a number of musicians. The tune is an exact copy of that issued by the computer game manufacturers. If it has caused writer to spin in his grave or upset you I suggest you take this up with the manufacturers.
Al

Tetris - Shmetris.
It's a Russian folk song, called "Korobushka", or "Travelling Peddler". A dirty song about a Peddler (good thing he's not Jewish) offering goods to a village girl in exchange for out of wedlock sex at night in the field of rye.
Here's a pop version by four hor..., I mean, by Bond
(You may skip the intro and go right to the second half of the clip.)
And here's more like it, with the last verse omitted
For mazochistically inclined, overdone version
More to the feel is this one.

#326 Alan Day

Alan Day

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Umm, hi, I noticed that the recording by Alan Day labeled "Mario Brothers" is actually Tetris.

~Terra

After a Christmas Weekend of listening to me Nephew playing on his Super Mario Brothers game the tune stuck in my head and our group GIGCB tried it for Circassion Circle and was fantastic for this dance.It was after it was posted on Henk's site that the real name of the tune was pointed out to me by a number of musicians. The tune is an exact copy of that issued by the computer game manufacturers. If it has caused writer to spin in his grave or upset you I suggest you take this up with the manufacturers.
Al

Tetris - Shmetris.
It's a Russian folk song, called "Korobushka", or "Travelling Peddler". A dirty song about a Peddler (good thing he's not Jewish) offering goods to a village girl in exchange for out of wedlock sex at night in the field of rye.
Here's a pop version by four hor..., I mean, by Bond
(You may skip the intro and go right to the second half of the clip.)
And here's more like it, with the last verse omitted
For mazochistically inclined, overdone version
More to the feel is this one.

Korobushka was the name given to me for the tune.This was a long time after I recorded this for the Recorded Link Page with the only version of it I had heard,sadly on a computer game.Thanks for the Russian versions of the tune,perhaps with this intervention you may have stopped the writer spinning or would he be twirling?
Al

#327 Theodore Kloba

Theodore Kloba

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:54 PM

Тетрис - Шметрис.

By the way, "Kalinka" is what you hear in the background on Tetris.

Also BTW, Hi all! I haven't been here in months as I've been busy with some home remodeling, helping my wife put the finishing touches on her latest album (it's in the hands of the mastering engineer now), and some electronics projects.

Edited by Theodore Kloba, 15 May 2008 - 03:59 PM.

#328 Daniel Hersh

Daniel Hersh

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2155 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

Welcome back!

Тетрис - Шметрис.

By the way, "Kalinka" is what you hear in the background on Tetris.

Also BTW, Hi all! I haven't been here in months as I've been busy with some home remodeling, helping my wife put the finishing touches on her latest album (it's in the hands of the mastering engineer now), and some electronics projects.

#329 RatFace

RatFace

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:10 AM

I just recorded a few things whilst practicing, including Huntingtone Castle. Cello part on 1st time is from "A collection of strathspeys, reels and country dances" by John Bowie of Perth.

#330 Donald Galloway

Donald Galloway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 10:39 AM

I just recorded a few things whilst practicing, including Huntingtone Castle. Cello part on 1st time is from "A collection of strathspeys, reels and country dances" by John Bowie of Perth.

Nicely played - as always! It's a terrific tune and is available in print here

#331 Henk van Aalten

Henk van Aalten

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

Just to inform you about the last update of the Recorded Tunes Links Page.
  • Richard plays two Irish tunes on his Linota in a relaxed way
  • Mark Evans sings and plays "She moved through te Fair" in a superb way.
I just realize that I missed some tunes (a.o. from Danny). I will include them in the next update.

Edited by Henk van Aalten, 21 December 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#332 Boney

Boney

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

I just realize that I missed some tunes (o.a. from Danny). I will include them in the next update.

I'm glad the page is still growing. In case you missed my earlier thread, please add my Wakker Hayden duet recording of the Kyckling Polka.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users