30 Button C/g Wheatstone Linota

richard

A great Irish concertina player has played it and compared it in sound to Jackie McCarthy’s Wheatstone, which I was told is only a few serial numbers after this instrument.

Jackie McCarthy/Ken Loveless' Wheatstone is #32900, made 18 months and 205 serial numbers later, but yours certainly bears some similarities to it (it's an instrument that I've worked on a few times).

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello folks

Because of the hard times I have just adjusted my the asking price for this crackin' C/G Linota to $7500.00 obo.

Please feel free to contact me with questions.

Thanks,

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello

This very nice Linota again, is still available.

I do have some sound files if one would like to hear an mp3 of it.

Just email me richardgldbrgATaolDOTcom

Thanks,

Richard

I was wondering if the eight fold bellows isn't the reason why your not getting alot of looks.I know I don't care for seven fold bellows so eight fold would be even worse for me. More than likely I am wrong but if not it might be easier for you to replace the bellows and then sell it.

Willie van Wyk can build a decent set of six fold set of bellows for $250.00. I am sure that David Leese, Mr. Connor or Wim Wakker can do the same for a slightly higher charge.

One has to ask: Will a lower price attract more potential buyers? What can potential buyers buy for $7,500.00? A Linota, a Crabb concertina, an unrestored Jeffries, a new Carroll concertina, a Wakker concertina, a Dipper? I did the latter and sent my money to Colin Dipper for a spanking brand new concertina.

Hello

I imagine the 8 fold bellows might not be some folks first choice, I would be hesitant if I was looking. But for what it is worth from my point of view I don't feel the extra one or two folds get in the way, and they do offer that extra air for someone looking for that.

I wouldn't say a new concertina should be compared to a nice older instrument as far as the price. I think it really is about the playing and the sound. I think there is something to be said for reeds which are played in, and an instrument that has lived a lifetime or so already! I think that has value.

I am letting the Linota go because my C/G Dipper Clare arrived just over a year ago. It wasn't an obvious, easy decision to let the Linota go. It took time to be able to let the Wheatstone go. I have decided to commit to my Dipper.

I have really enjoyed the Linota and learned a lot from playing it. I love the sound and how it plays. I think the Linota will do the same for someone else.

I am patient.

Richard

• 2 months later...