Where To Play?

Fredrika

Hello!

My name is Fredrika and I'm from Sweden. I play the English concertina and a week ago I moved to Wigton, Cumbria in north west of the UK. As I don't know anything about this place I'm looking for somewhere to play the concertina and learn some English music since I almost always use to play Swedish...

I'mwould like to go to some sessions where I can listen to good music and maybe learn some tunes, and get to know some people who play the concertina! It would be very nice to exchange some tunes, I know many tunes from southern Sweden and I'm very interested in the music you've got here in the UK.

I have heard that there is a group of people here in Cumbria playing the concertina together but I have no clue where they live.

If anyone knows what happens around here on the concertina front, just let me know!

Cheers / Fredrika

Hi Fredrika

There are quite a few folk playing Lake District style music. Don't just stick to concertina players. Google Boat band and Lakeland Fiddlers. There will be sessions in pubs and community halls. The old Norse links beween Scandinavia and Lakes my prove a good exchange of ideas.

Hi Frederika

I'll second Sam's suggestion about contacting the Lakeland Fiddlers.

And if you travel across to Newcastle there are quite a number of concertina players, and many people who enjoy playing and listening to Swedish and other Scandinavian music. In fact there is a session I'll be going to tonight in Newcastle where there is likely to be a Scandinavian flavour.

And if you travel across to Newcastle there are quite a number of concertina players, and many people who enjoy playing and listening to Swedish and other Scandinavian music. In fact there is a session I'll be going to tonight in Newcastle where there is likely to be a Scandinavian flavour.

Hi Theo

I'm a big fan of Scandi music, dance & song - can you post details of the venue.

I won't be able to make tonight though - is this a regular session?

Steve

Fredrika, to contact the Lakeland Fiddlers just click on the link in my signature line below. Feel free to send me a message or any enquiries.

We host a session on the second Tuesday of the month at the Hawkshead Brewery Beer Hall (above Wilf's Cafe) in Staveley, near Kendal in Cumbria. There are usually several concertina players, but all types of instruments are most welcome.

Fredrika, to contact the Lakeland Fiddlers just click on the link in my signature line below. Feel free to send me a message or any enquiries.

We host a session on the second Tuesday of the month at the Hawkshead Brewery Beer Hall (above Wilf's Cafe) in Staveley, near Kendal in Cumbria. There are usually several concertina players, but all types of instruments are most welcome.

OK!

I live in Wigton and work with tree surgency during the weeks, which makes it a bit difficult to visit sessions in the middle of the week.. scecially when they are far from home and I don't drive... But I will definitely try to come some day!

Do you know any more sessions that is closer to Wigton?

Do you know any more sessions that is closer to Wigton?

I seem to remember something about a Northumbrian pipers session somewhere in north Cumbria. I'll ask around and get back to you if I find anything.

Did you manage to get to Solfest this year, it's just up the road from you? I played with the Lakeland Fidddlers on the Drystone stage on the Saturday afternoon. Fantastic weekend :)