Alexander Prince

Paul, I have a fairly complete Prince discography, but it is quite extensive, meaning a lot of typing, and at present I am without a scanner. :(

If you would like to email me off group at mclapp@bigpond.net.au with your postal address, I would be happy to get it photocopied and snail mail it to you. :D

Regards

Malcolm

Hello Paul,I have a signed postcard of Alexander Prince Dated 25.9.12.He is playing what looks like a large Duet 12 sided job,I could email you a copy sometime if you are interested,Bazza

Paul,

I'm still hunting for more info, but here is a quick summary from various sources that I usually give out on ICA queries:

Alexander Prince was not his real name. He was born in Aberdeen, Scotland, and his real name was Alexander Sutherland.

As an early concertina recording artiste, Alexander Prince stands supreme not only for the excellence of his music but also for the extraordinary number of discs he made. His first recordings were on cylinders but in 1912 he signed up exclusively with ''Columbia'' and, from then on, his titles appeared on the flat

discs as we know them today.

His renderings of Tannhauser Overture and Poet and Peasant were proof of both his musical abilities and the adaptability of the Concertina.

He said that he was an '' infant prodigy,'' since, when he was eight years old he broke his leg, and was forced to stay in bed. His father, who owned a music shop, gave him a Concertina to amuse himself with and two years later we find Alexander Prince performing at the Glasgow Exhibition!!

It was not long before he was heard at the London Pavilion, Crystal Palace and

other halls and, in 1904 he set off on a South African tour.

His instruments were 51 and 71 key Duets [Maccann system]. On the latter he was able to obtain some really beautiful organ effects since it had a greater bass range than that usually made.

Proof positive of Prince's musical genius is the fact that he never wrote any of his arrangements down but simply took them straight from an Orchestral score and memorised them.

In later years he was more associated with Nottingham, England rather than Scotland. His brother also played concertina and taught there.

best wishes ..wes