Rochelle Anglo For Sale

RustyBits

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should mention it. . . . I was wondering what the total bill would be if all the hours spent typing and cogitating replies was calculated and billed at $20.00 per hour. Perhaps we should all go into business together to do debates for folks on their sales websites! Misha especially, or it would never fly :lol:

Glad Lisa still has a sense of humour!

Shortly listing my Jeffries for $20,000. Comments welcome....(not) :P

Here is one that just sold on eBay for $250.

Yes, I was watching it. And another one, Jackie, from the same power seller.

Rochelle was bought by someone, who looks like a reseller, not player.

But it did sell, and I guess it set the price.

$250 then, shipping not included.

If a resellers buying a concertina for 250 they will be selling it on for more so your argument for how much it should cost is contradicted by the rest of what you say. Either the price you suggest is wrong or something else you say is wrong or else everything you say is wrong and I know which one I favor.

As an interesting side to all this, I offered a flute on another forum recently. It was a custom-made flute that I bought for a very high price on the after-market. The flute sold for about $2,500 more than if the flute came off the six to ten-year wait-list at the maker's "retail price." An interesting (depending on your point of view) discussion ensued regarding inflated prices and price-gouging. Accusations were made about "speculation" and an inaccurate assessment of the maker's original price for the flute, which had several custom features not offered as options. The flute was thus one of a kind. The discussion can be found here: http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/18349

The flute originally sold for a very high price on EBay (over $6,000). It was put on EBay by a maker in the flute shop that made the flute. More than one willing buyer offered to buy in that price range. So we can assume that the price of $6,000+ was the fair market price for the flute. The high price was set by the market and the "inordinate" profit went to the maker, who profited from the higher fair market price.

As the current seller I very much resented the implication that the profit was all mine and that I was responsible for participating in price gouging and profiteering. One poster bragged that he sold a similar flute for exactly what he'd paid for it and refused any profit out of general good-will and generosity of spirit. The Samaritan suggested that the buyer of his flute could afford $3,000 but not $5,000 - which I find curious. Neither price would be affordable by somebody with modest means. Another poster questioned whether the Samaritan realized that he'd just handed over a few thousand dollars, although it would give him bragging rights in some circles. All this aside from the fact that there are plenty of good playable instruments, as we know, at more affordable prices.

On this site I doubt anybody would question the asking price of an after-market Dipper or Suttner. Many of us would jump at the chance to get a premium instrument and bypass a wait list. And if the asking price seemed too high for a premium instrument, I doubt that we would engage in public criticism. Rather, we would simply see that the instrument did not sell. Commenting on EBay sales is, I think, another matter.

I did sell my flute. But I did not appreciate the implications swirling about the sale, my motives, and my asking price. I would much rather have received a private email asking me to engage in a private discussion about the matter, or a separate post discussing in general why it is that instruments are sold at such high prices.

Although a Rochelle is not a premium instrument the same protocol should have been observed. Mischa should either have kept his feelings to himself or have communicated to Lisa privately. It would have been more polite and less pointlessly confrontative.

Here is one that just sold on eBay for $250.

Yes, I was watching it. And another one, Jackie, from the same power seller.

Rochelle was bought by someone, who looks like a reseller, not player.

But it did sell, and I guess it set the price.

$250 then, shipping not included.

If a resellers buying a concertina for 250 they will be selling it on for more so your argument for how much it should cost is contradicted by the rest of what you say. Either the price you suggest is wrong or something else you say is wrong or else everything you say is wrong and I know which one I favor.

If you favor that everything I say is wrong, than please don't ever try shoulder belt system of mine. It's wrong. Use thin neck strap, but make sure you know where hospital is.

On a less serious note though, I can't care less about what some lying reseller says to another, I've seen too many. Let's see what players pay, not some Ebay junk collectors, who hope to get rich easy. Note, that with several people expressing interest in used Rochelle on this forum, none bid. There was only one bid. Still, $275 with shipping included is not bad, it looks. Iif you speak from your point of view, why can't I speak from mine?

To me, $100 extra for musical instrument don't mean much. If it did, I wouldn't bother with concertinas. There are cheaper alternatives.

Although a Rochelle is not a premium instrument the same protocol should have been observed. Mischa should either have kept his feelings to himself or have communicated to Lisa privately. It would have been more polite and less pointlessly confrontative

You expressed your opinion.

I expressed my opinion.

Now you expressing an opinion on the conduct of expressing opinion.

Probably your conduct of expressing opinion is fine, even after your own price was openly discussed elsewhere, you still express such genuine surprise for my improper conduct, as though you were just born.

I thought the topic is closed and Lisa sold her instrument.

After all the hoopla...

So far as I know Lisa hasn't yet sold her Rochelle.

Regarding protocol, I don't think that it's inappropriate to publicly comment on a price, especially by pointing out factual information such as the price of the same instrument new or a well-documented recent sale of a similar instrument. It's not unusual for such comments to be made in this forum. I think that some of Misha's comments ("There was one on Craig's list, went for $200") were fine. I thought that others were too vague and sweeping (like his initial statement: "I thought used Rochelles were going for $200") and that some were downright confrontational ("It's 'penny smart'. How much of a trouble you buy when you save a whopping $60? Give me a break!").

Daniel

Although a Rochelle is not a premium instrument the same protocol should have been observed. Mischa should either have kept his feelings to himself or have communicated to Lisa privately. It would have been more polite and less pointlessly confrontative

You expressed your opinion.

I expressed my opinion.

Now you expressing an opinion on the conduct of expressing opinion.

Probably your conduct of expressing opinion is fine, even after your own price was openly discussed elsewhere, you still express such genuine surprise for my improper conduct, as though you were just born.

I thought the topic is closed and Lisa sold her instrument.

After all the hoopla...

On this site I doubt anybody would question the asking price of an after-market Dipper or Suttner. Many of us would jump at the chance to get a premium instrument and bypass a wait list. And if the asking price seemed too high for a premium instrument, I doubt that we would engage in public criticism. Rather, we would simply see that the instrument did not sell.

Did you have a premonition? :huh:

Suttner A4 Jeffries C/g For Sale

On this site I doubt anybody would question the asking price of an after-market Dipper or Suttner. Many of us would jump at the chance to get a premium instrument and bypass a wait list. And if the asking price seemed too high for a premium instrument, I doubt that we would engage in public criticism. Rather, we would simply see that the instrument did not sell.

Did you have a premonition? :huh:

Suttner A4 Jeffries C/g For Sale

Purely coincidental, officer.