Dad's Army

premo

I have just seen a rerun of an episode of Dad's Army. For the uninitiated, Dad's Army is a classic British comedy show about a group of (mainly) old men who form a local defence force at a small coastal resort during the Second World War.

The episode, which I have identified as episode 64 - The Godiva Affair, features the platoon preparing for a Morris dance. Being a dancer myself it gave me a good laugh. At one point they actually perform a short dance. Although the dance bears only a slight resemblance to a proper dance they are accompanied by a concertina playing (I think) 'Constant Billy'.

Not only does the concertina actually appear to be played, rather than have some dodgy PA dubbing, you actually see the player and the instrument looks like a duet.

Has anyone else seen this or have further info on instrument and player?

According to TV Tome, the episode first aired on 6 Dec 1974 (they list it as episode 65). The plot is summarized:

>The platoon are dressed as Morris Dancers for a local show when

>Jones comes to Capt Mainwaring with a problem concerning Mrs Fox

>Jones thinks she is seeing the town clerk and wants Mainwaring

>to sort it out for him

No information about the concertina player is given. A statement at the bottom of the page says " This show's information is edited by: Mike Wilson [mike.wilson6@btinternet.com]." Perhaps he knows.

they are accompanied by a concertina playing (I think) 'Constant Billy'.

Not only does the concertina actually appear to be played, rather than have some dodgy PA dubbing, you actually see the player and the instrument looks like a duet.

Has anyone else seen this or have further info on instrument and player?

I cannot vouch for this, as I haven't seen the episode, but the player could very well be Peter Honri, the grandson of Percy Honri, the great Music-Hall showman & renowned Maccann duettist. Peter played the role of Private Day in the "Dad's Army" series, and he too could play the duet. He also wrote the book "Working the Halls", which is mainly about his grandfather.

I have met Peter a couple of times, on the first occasion (in 1986, at the Croydon Warehouse Theatre) he put on a one-man show, also called "Working the Halls"; the songs & the story of a Music-Hall family, in which he portrayed Percy. The second time was at an auction when he sold some family memorabilia, including one of Percy's concertinas and aunt Mary's piano accordion (it looked like the same one she is seen playing in the Pathe newsreel clips, one of which features her with her father, Percy). I finished up with some original Percy Honri posters and a suitcase-full of photos that day.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

What an amazing site this is. I saw this episode on UK Gold and wondered about the concertina player who was playing Constant Billy and on a Duet and wondered who it was and looked tonight and question answered.Mind readers!!

I must say that this programme always makes me laugh as does the old Laurel and Hardy`s.

Do you want to hear the story of the empty room????

There was nothing in it !!

It`s the way I don`t tell em.

Al

• 2 years later...

I'm currently reading through the Dad's Army scripts, and will be on the "Godiva Affair" in a couple of days. Fantastic series, great memories, and timeless humour. As stated, Peter Honri played concertina in this episode.

Like Stephen Chambers, I first met Peter Honri at his "Working the Halls" show in Croydon. We got chatting after the show, and he gave me his address, in Basingstoke (since moved to rural Hampshire), with the invitation to "drop in" if I was ever over there.

Well, in March 1988, I was due to teach at the WCCP Halsway Manor event, and Brian Bibby (who lived just outside Basingstoke) had kindly offered to give me a lift. Realising that I might have two or three hours to spare, I rang Peter Honri to see whether it might be convenient to call in. Peter H. replied that it would be fine, as he would be home, before a tour in southern France starting the following day. So, Peter turned out to be a great host; we chatted about concertinas, Grandfather Perci Honri, etc., and Peter showed me his instruments.

Anyway, I left for the journey down to Somerset, but an hour after arriving, started to feel cold and distinctly unwell ('flu). I only managed my concert spot, and half a workshop all weekend. On the way home, Brian Bibby started to feel unwell; he had to fly to the USA the following day, and had a wretched time, from what he told me. So, did I also pass on the 'flu to Peter Honri? Well, even when I saw him at Witney some years later, I did not have the nerve to ask.

Peter Honri is perhaps better known for his role in the film "Oliver", where, in addition to several appearances with the concertina, he doubles as an "extra".

Peter.

I have found ,through my mate Jim some old records featuring Percy,when I get these Peter may wish to hear them and if suitable we will include them on International.

If you do come across Peter perhaps you would be so kind as to get him to contact me.

Al

I have just seen a rerun of an episode of Dad's Army. For the uninitiated, Dad's Army is a classic British comedy show about a group of (mainly) old men who form a local defence force at a small coastal resort during the Second World War.

The episode, which I have identified as episode 64 - The Godiva Affair, features the platoon preparing for a Morris dance.

I was fortunate to see a play of Dads Army which includes this episode, at the Lamproom Theatre in Barnsley last Friday! Sorry to say that they had a woman playing the Piano Accordian rather than the concertina. I do act and direct plays in my 'spare' time (and am in fact a lapsed member of the Lamproom Theatre Company-prior to concertina playing days)- so wouldn't it have been great if I had been asked play the concertina for this - not saying that I am good enough but what an incentive to get practicing!