Learning Tunes

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the concertina (a few months, 30 key G/C Anglo) and to the forum. I wonder if anyone would be interested in the following proposal. Someone would suggest a tune to be worked out communally. Ideally, it could be posted in written form, or is in the Tune-o-Tron, and would also be available in some aural form, midi or whatever, also on line.

What I have in mind is that suggestions and arguments would be offered as to key choice and bellows directions (which would unfortunately be rather Anglo-specific) and suggestions for ornamentation. I think this would be great for us newbies.

I might suggest, as a start, the tune Toss the Feathers, which is in the Tune-o-Tron and has a lovely version available at Mary MacNamara's website (or was, I seem to be denied access today.) I have also downloaded a midi, alternatively, credited to Harold Doolan, that I could post, and convert to printed form for those interested.

I have posted this topic in General Discussion to gauge if there is interest. It should obviously be moved to Teaching and Learning if people want to pursue it. Has anything like this been attempted in this Forum before?

Steve Mills

Ideally, it could be posted in written form, or is in the Tune-o-Tron, and would also be available in some aural form, midi or whatever, also on line.

Any tune in the Tune-o-Tron can be heard as a MIDI representation of the notation just by hitting the MIDI link. Sounds mechanical, but clear and unambiguous (unlike many recordings).

Has anything like this been attempted in this Forum before?
Not that I'm aware of.

The question naturally arises: What do we do after we have learned the tune? Talk about it? Record ourselves and send the recordings to some central repository for posting on the web so we can all hear each other?

I think it goes without saying that even though we might all learn the same notes, what we play might be stylistically so different from each other that trying to play all together over the internet (as has been discussed in earlier threads) might be problematic.

Thanks, David, for your considered reply.

Yes, the midis on the Tune-o-Tron are rather mechanical. That is why I suggested finding some others, many of which can be quite good. Barry Taylor's extensive list contains many good renditions. A very large number of Irish tunes can be found by typing the name into the van Basco search engine at:

http://www.vanbasco.com/midisearch.html

Your other point is more difficult. What I had in mind was an initial discussion of fingerings; the tutors often don't guide one much here. We all have encountered tunes where the home row approach will rapidly move the bellows to an unusable state. I tend to use alternate keys to solve this, with the airhole as a last resort. Other issues regard legato phrasings. I like to try to make a short, rapid series of notes all in one bellows direction, but I'd like to see how others play a particular phrase.

Most importantly, I'd like to see how and where others ornament pieces.

As you can see, I didn't consider the stylistic differences in how different players play as an impediment, but an end.

Nonetheless, I can see that there might not be much in this idea for the advanced player, and that it might be deadly dull for many.

Stephen,

Also being new to C/G anglo, I like your idea.

A couple of thoughts:

- A possible impediment to discussion is the apparent lack of a standard system for notating how a tune is played on anglo. This is the topic of a 'Learning' thread here. How do you envision someone describing the way he plays a particular phrase? Do you think it could be done without getting excessively wordy?

- It would really be helpful if there were a way for participants to post sound clips. There's a web site that does this for whistle players here. That site is loosely affiliated with a discussion forum ('Clips & Snips') on the Chiff & Fipple web site where people discuss the tunes that have been posted. A parallel system for Concertina.net would be a nice addition. I don't know how to set up such a site, but given enough time, I might be able to figure it out. (I'm in the process of trying to learn basic web-site development as a volunteer project.) On the other hand, I'm not sure I want others to hear my anglo playing yet ...!

- There's a nice basic (no triplets etc.) transcription of Toss the Feathers on 'The Session' web site here. This is a very useful site for finding tunes, notation (abc and gif) commentary on them, and lists of recordings.

Stephen, Michael,

if you have a look to my proposal "IUnterchanging, Learning Tunes, you can see that I tried to propose something similar inNobvember.

Stepehne, let' s try it outside of the Forum.

Here is my address

Joachim Delp

P.O.Box, 39

E-20.400 Tolosa (Gipuzkoa)

Spain

Send me the notes of the Tunme you propose and if you wish play it and record it on a tape as good as you know it, (or on a mini-disc.

I shall do my best to learn and to comment to you my experience and ask you about yours.

Why we are so shy to record our not perfect playing and expoise it to critics and advise and to consolate us, that others fight with the same difficulties we do ?

As a non expert wioth computer and with a relative low sight problem and lck of time I do not handle my computer as good as I should, but I am learning.

I can recpord sound clips into the computer and I guess also send via Internet.

I shall learn it withion short.

I also have a sopft ware, to record more perfectly into the computer, but fdo not master it by now.

But pateince and lets correpsond.

Me might ionform to the forum from time to time waht we are doing and gradually others mighty join to our group.

And then we shall found ouir ICLTA and can organize annula gatherings....

well for the m0ment only a jioke.

Michaekl you will join too.

Less discussion , more action, please.

Kind regards

Joachim Delp

You may answer here or by privbate message