German-made English?

Daniel Hersh

I didn't think that the German makers had made English concertinas... http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-Scholer-Concer...itemZ7388543592

Back in the 1970's in New York I saw a couple of 30-button MoTS Englishes that I think must have been either German or Italian -- they weren't MayFairs, -- but I didn't bother trying to find out more about them.

Decoration and fretwork on the ends was very different from this one, though.

This one is German made, by Schuster. A copy of an early Wheatstone. It even has English-style metal levers and English-style dovetailed reed shoes with steel reeds. The reed quality is poor though and it plays no better than an average brass-reeded Lachenal.

post-510-1139306223_thumb.jpgpost-510-1139306250_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Theo--I had no idea such things existed. Any idea how old this one is?

Daniel

This one is German made, by Schuster. A copy of an early Wheatstone. It even has English-style metal levers and English-style dovetailed reed shoes with steel reeds. The reed quality is poor though and it plays no better than an average brass-reeded Lachenal.
Edited by Daniel Hersh

I can only guess. Most likely 1920s or 1930s. Reason: that is the period when the german squeezebox industry was it its most inventive. The style of the metal makers plate makes me think 1930's too though I can't say why.

It belongs to a friend if mine who is trying to sell it.

Edited by Theo