#37 Anglo-Irishman

Anglo-Irishman

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1473 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Apologies John,
my last offering was based on the discussion around the original posting of which there is a picture of the Wheatstone referred to as a Bandoneon. Unfortunately thread drift, which often occurs, can cause some puzzlement to those unfamiliar with the whole content of a topic.

Geoff :)

Geoff,
My mistake!

It is still odd to call something with a Chemnitzer layout a Bandoneon, but the point I made about you hands not having to hold the thing up and therefore being able to move up and down still applies!

Cheers,
John

#38 Geoffrey Crabb

Geoffrey Crabb

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

Geoff,
My mistake!

It is still odd to call something with a Chemnitzer layout a Bandoneon, but the point I made about you hands not having to hold the thing up and therefore being able to move up and down still applies!

Cheers,
John

Hi John,
Unfortunately, before the days of widespread enlightenment courtesy of the internet, anything large and square, certainly in England, was generally referred to as Bandonion (Bandoneon). Today, of course, with access to vast amounts of information it is possible to more correctly identify instruments.

I agree that the hands can move up and down to cover the keyboard but close study of Maureen Dwyers right hand shows the amazing, effortless finger spread she manages. Probably due to many years of playing, her hands have adapted to the instrument.

Geoff

#39 chris

chris

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:09 AM

it may be worth a look at Neil Wayne's 'the Concertina Collection' Cat. No. C-085 http://www.concertin...om./CM00085.htm
illustrates a Wheatstone Bandoneon
chris

#40 Geoffrey Crabb

Geoffrey Crabb

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 561 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

it may be worth a look at Neil Wayne's 'the Concertina Collection' Cat. No. C-085 http://www.concertin...om./CM00085.htm
illustrates a Wheatstone Bandoneon
chris

And the very same as the subject for this topic. And still referred to as Bandoneon.

Geoff

Edited by Geoffrey Crabb, 31 March 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#41 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

And the very same as the subject for this topic. And still referred to as Bandoneon.

Problem solved... :)

Wheatstone named that "Chemnitzer" model "Bandoneon", it's in the ledgers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users