Photo

New, Lower Priced Mid-Range Anglo From Concetina Connection?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#19 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

Wim:

I am being impatient, I know, but what will be the button count and layout on the Troubadour Hayden?

Thx.  Don.

#20 wim wakker

wim wakker

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Hi Wim,

I am a bit foxed by your terminology:

CT Tension?

Bellows 'waist'?

thanks

Dave

The CT referred to ‘Closed Tension’, which was explained earlier in the article I copied the text from.

CT stands for Closed Tension, as opposed to OT Open Tension. Bellows tension is one of the subjects measured in a bellows evaluation and was explained earlier in the article (bellows tension (in grams), bellows travel (in percentage), stability (in pressure) and airtightness (airflow per minute)).

“Bellows waist”  is the difference in circumference between the bellows frames and the bellows.  

hope it makes more sense now...

#21 wim wakker

wim wakker

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Wim:

I am being impatient, I know, but what will be the button count and layout on the Troubadour Hayden?

Thx.  Don.

Actually, I developed 2 models, one in a 6 1/4“ housing and one larger… We’re not sure which one will go in production.  The smaller one is cheaper (Busker price), the larger one has more buttons but is therefore more expensive.

Our primary objective for this model line is a low cost model, which is a big step up from the entry level models in playability, quality and sound.
A larger instrument will probably be out of financial reach again for many players, especially for customers outside the US when you have to add 21% or more sales tax, import, shipping, etc..

We’re still working on it. Because this model line is modular in design, we only need about 4 weeks from final design to production. 

#22 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1161 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:40 PM

Wim:

Thanks, I can see the dilemma, which is why I asked the question

I guess the larger model button layout would be close to the Peacock (42 buttons and all accidentals) and the smaller model to an Elise (34 buttons with some missing accidentals).

As the owner of a Peacock, I would say go for the small case and fewer keys.  Others will probably disagree, but the size and price point are attractive - I would like a small instrument even if it is limited to a few 'folky' keys.

Don.

#23 rlgph

rlgph

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:19 AM

Wim:

As the owner of a Peacock, I would say go for the small case and fewer keys.  Others will probably disagree, but the size and price point are attractive - I would like a small instrument even if it is limited to a few 'folky' keys.

Don.

I agree. The main addition i would like is a mirrored left hand option, but that's proably not in the cards for keeping the price down.

ron

#24 d.elliott

d.elliott

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 09:38 AM

Hi Wim,

CT Tension?

Bellows 'waist'?

thanks

Dave

The CT referred to ‘Closed Tension’, which was explained earlier in the article I copied the text from.

CT stands for Closed Tension, as opposed to OT Open Tension. Bellows tension is one of the subjects measured in a bellows evaluation and was explained earlier in the article (bellows tension (in grams), bellows travel (in percentage), stability (in pressure) and airtightness (airflow per minute)).

“Bellows waist”  is the difference in circumference between the bellows frames and the bellows.  

Wim,

I tried to find your article on the web to answer my questions, but failed. Can you advise how I can access it. I did look before I asked my questions otherwise I would not have had the need to show my ignorance.

Dave

#25 wim wakker

wim wakker

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 03:00 PM

Wim:

Don.

I agree. The main addition i would like is a mirrored left hand option, but that's proably not in the cards for keeping the price down.

ron

Actually, all our duet models (Peacock, future Troubadour, and the Wakker duets) are available with a mirrored left side. We don't charge extra for that. 

Mirrored duets make more sense to free bass accordion players who switch to duet concertina. Bayans also come with both variations for the left hand; the Russian system (bottom low/top high) and the western system (top low/bottom high). 

Hi Wim,

CT Tension?

Bellows 'waist'?

thanks

Dave

Wim,

I tried to find your article on the web to answer my questions, but failed. Can you advise how I can access it. I did look before I asked my questions otherwise I would not have had the need to show my ignorance.

Dave

We don't have them on our site yet... I am still editing/organizing them...I have 4 of them finished, out of 10-15. The material comes from articles I wrote for free reed magazines (European), lectures and workshops. 

#26 Frank Edgley

Frank Edgley

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 06:58 PM

As far as bellows are concerned, another factor is the depth of the bellows folds. Shallower bellows have to open wider and thus at a greater angle to get the same amount of expansion as a bellows with deeper folds. This is just as important as any other factor in bellows construction. A six fold bellows with 3/4 inch depth will not open as far or as easily as a bellows with 1 1/4 inch depth folds. A little makes a big difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users