5 replies to this topic

#1 alex_holden

alex_holden

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:54 AM

I've read that some modern makers produce buttons that have a nickel-silver or brass cap over a Delrin/acetal core. How are the caps made, is it a drilled rod or deep-drawn from sheet?

#2 alex_holden

alex_holden

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:58 AM

Or I guess they could even be spun from a disc on the lathe.

#3 inventor

inventor

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 09:44 AM

Steve Dickenson uses a dedicated tool, which came amongst all the tools that he had when he bought up Wheatstones.  This tool turns disks of a softish nickel based alloy into dome shaped caps and crimpes them onto the plastic cores. The original cores were wooden, as will be found in many vintage Wheatstones.

I don't personally like dome shaped key tops and much prefer flat tops.

Inventor. 

#4 mike byrne

mike byrne

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 12:07 PM

Did you see Henrik Mullers buttons made out of Rotring pencil caps with wooden inserts.

#5 alex_holden

alex_holden

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

Steve Dickenson uses a dedicated tool, which came amongst all the tools that he had when he bought up Wheatstones.  This tool turns disks of a softish nickel based alloy into dome shaped caps and crimpes them onto the plastic cores. The original cores were wooden, as will be found in many vintage Wheatstones.
I don't personally like dome shaped key tops and much prefer flat tops.
Inventor.

Thanks Inventor, that's interesting.

Did you see Henrik Mullers buttons made out of Rotring pencil caps with wooden inserts.

That's a resourceful idea!

Edited by alex_holden, 28 July 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#6 Henrik Müller

Henrik Müller

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:14 AM

Using the Rotring pen caps was a saved-by-opportunity thing - they ARE good, but veeery expensive.

Much later - now, that is - I have changed my opinion about cap diameter.
In the beginning I had fantasies about caps/buttons more than ¼ "/6.35 mm...

Then I made #2 (inspite of great look-and-feel still a work in progress, when it comes to reeds) and used buttons from Jürgen Suttner. Ooh - very good, lovely feel.

Then I made #3 - yes, I WILL update my web site ;-) (Wheatstone reeds, pan and bellows frame, with new bellows) with my own user interface = end box/action and used Suttner buttons again. A peculiarity (for many) of my user interface is the fact that the buttons go all the way down to the bushing. This time they stopped - because of a small misunderstanding with myself - 1 mm before.

No good... hmmm, aha! I removed (my own) felt stoppers under the buttons since they were exactlt 1 mm. What a difference! ;-).

Anyway, this instrument has been played a couple of 100 hours, and I am convinced: I want the small ones (Jürgens) - they are 4.8mm. In contrast, the oul Rotrings are 5.8. Two different worlds!

It goes to show how different preferences are -

/Henrik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users