I wanted to share an experience with you so that others don't make the same mistake as I.
I have recently been restoring a vintage Wheatstone concertina. The reeds were in great shape, and I don't have the skill to tune them, so I have left well alone. What I have done however is strip all the woodwork, french polish it, rebush the buttonholes, add new straps reblack the bellows and add David Elliot's Daisy pattern papers to the bellows.
It's been weeks of work, and I am/was insanely proud of the job. You would all have seen photos of it yesterday had it not been of one fatal misjudgement on my part.
I followed a video done by Bob Tedrow on applying the papers, and then read some further advice on his blog about applying a spray lacquer to the bellows to seal them and add a nice sheen.
Bob recommends a brand called Master Shine. I looked this up online, and found a brand offering the same name that appeared to do the same thing.
I dutifully tested the spray on some paper, and it worked a treat, adding a nice protective layer. I read the forums and description which said it could be used on soft materials too.
I finally took the plunge and coated the bellows with a thin coat. Within 20 minutes, the bellows had dried and I went to inspect them and found that the lacquer had dried a milky colour and was cracking horribly - the bellows still actuated perfectly, but the finish was ruined.
Master Shine in the UK is clearly not the same thing
I am a skilled person and have no issues working with wood and leather normally, but I am now looking at a full replacement set of bellows for this due to one small mistake on my part. It is a mistake I shall not make again thats for sure. Sharing here in case it stops someone else from making the same error.
I will share photos again once I have the new bellows as it is a lovely concertina!