• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DickT

DickT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 07:10 AM

I have come up with a compact device that helps prevent edeos rolling off table tops. It consists of a ring of cordage, currently 6mm diameter but better to be a bit more, that is placed on the table for the concertina to sit in (see photos). It is not foolproof at the current cordage size but gives a great deal of stability, is very light and fits easily in the bag or box.

Dick.IMG_0424.JPG IMG_0428 2.JPG

#2 John Adey

John Adey

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:18 AM

Is this tale of Edeophones rolling off tables a myth, a theoretical possibility or a reality? 

I never had any problems when I had an Edeophone and I've never met anyone who knew of an actual occasion when it happened.

Does anyone know of an Edeophone that really rolled?

#3 DickT

DickT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 10:04 AM

I've had one roll but not off the edge.

#4 Mike Pierceall

Mike Pierceall

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Is this tale of Edeophones rolling off tables a myth, a theoretical possibility or a reality? 

I never had any problems when I had an Edeophone and I've never met anyone who knew of an actual occasion when it happened.

Not of their own accord, more than likely knocked off an edge, or set into motion.

#5 Lofty

Lofty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

I had one roll down a hill (or was it pushed?) towards a bonfire.... I got there in time.

Steve

#6 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2104 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

My first real concertina was an Edeophone.  At that time  I worked in a Pub  where the  bar  had been  originally  build as a  cow byre, the floors slopped  and   there were very few  flat   or reasonably horizontal surfaces.    Not too much of a problem  with  pints  spilling  but  a couple of near miss  moments  for the Edeo.

I made something similar  for my Lute backed Hurdy Gurdy...  from a length of  central heating pipe  insulation  bent into an oval  ring.

Edited by Geoff Wooff, 12 June 2017 - 12:17 AM.

#7 malcolm clapp

malcolm clapp

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:41 AM

I know of two occurrences. At least, that was what both customers told me had happened, though I wasn't actually there at the time, Your Worship. However I had no reason to disbelieve either of them!

Both had one end so badly shattered that they required a new raised ebony end to be made; a job beyond my ability, but passed on to, and successfully completed by, Colin Dipper.

Edited by malcolm clapp, 12 June 2017 - 07:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: edeophone, safety

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users