9 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 07:38 AM

Does anyone know if a  French  language Tutor  book  for the English  Concertina    exists ?

One of  my neighbours  has  begun  her  learning  with  a Jackie and its method  book  and labouriously  translating it  for her own use, she asked me if  anything exists  in French.  I am helping her  as best I can  but  any and every   learning tool  is an aid  to those who are used to  working that way, and for someone  who  has never done more  with music than  learn a few chord shapes  on the guitar.

Any thoughts ?

Geoff.

#2 gcoover

gcoover

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

The Frank Butler book, available as a free download on concertina.com is probably self-explanatory enough with good graphics (in case you can't find one in French).

Gary

#3 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:41 AM

Thanks for that Gary,

I recall the Frank Butler book  from the days  when I was  starting.....  I'll take a look.

Geoff.

#4 Mike Franch

Mike Franch

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 01:49 PM

Perhaps M. Loup could do some translating.

#5 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:41 AM

Well Mike,

translating is not too bad a problem,  my wife and/or myself should be  able manage that. Translating in a musical sense  of  course , in France they don't use the ABC#  etc  but  Do diese, Ré, Mi bemol  etc.   But why I am  asking  for a  french  tutor is  that  there is a certain  element of  ear memory  which is greatly helpful when  starting out to  play an instrument, especially a melodic  one. Frank  Butler goes fairly straight into reading the score  as his anchor  for the pupil... which is ok IF  the pupil  knows how to read  it or knows the melodies  chosen.

A  french person  will have  lots of  simple nursery rhymes, Christmas carols  etc etc  which are  well implanted in the memory  and  mostly not the same as  our English speaking  tune memories...  hence a  " Methode  de Concertina Anglais"  would be  a  help.

Edited by Geoff Wooff, 31 January 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#6 Mike Franch

Mike Franch

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

. . .which is ok IF  the pupil  knows how to read  it or knows the melodies  chosen. A  french person  will have  lots of  simple nursery rhymes, Christmas carols  etc etc  which are  well implanted in the memory  and  mostly not the same as  our English speaking  tune memories..."

So true. As an English-speaking person with some familiarity with British tunes, I found some of Butler's assumptions (of the "every schoolboy knows" variety) amusing, and not particularly helpful.

#7 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:24 AM

A  french person  will have  lots of  simple nursery rhymes, Christmas carols  etc etc  which are  well implanted in the memory  and  mostly not the same as  our English speaking  tune memories...  hence a  " Methode  de Concertina Anglais"  would be  a  help.

It’s a fascinating question. I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t one.

Remember Juliette Daum? She hasn’t been on concertina.net in years. Maybe if you got in touch with her she might know.

#8 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestion David.

I recall  that  Juliette  lived   somewhere close by  .  Worth a try  I guess.

#9 Teriodin

Teriodin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

The only French one I can find is for the Anglo (looking at the cover).

https://www.amazon.f...ords=concertina

#10 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2099 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:02 AM

The only French one I can find is for the Anglo (looking at the cover).

https://www.amazon.f...ords=concertina

Hmmm.... Yes.  I think  this  has been added to  her  library.

Still we are looking  to see if  there is a 'Methode'  in French ..... but also translating  what material  we have and  all  learning  from the process.  I have  suggested  to include  a  'learning tunes  by  ear'  approach  and so far  she is  pulling melodies  out of her memory  and trying them.

At her latest 'please help me'  visit    the  liking for several tunes our band played at the local  Folk Bal  was mentioned  so I countered  that the band members learned all those tunes 'by ear'... someone would suggest a new tune and  we'd all  record them playing it, take that home and learn  the piece.  I hope we can use   this approach  with our new  concertina player  who is getting on well  as a raw  beginner  at music reading from the  Wakker tutor.

Edited by Geoff Wooff, 10 February 2017 - 02:03 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users