• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Ventola

Jim Ventola

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Here is Alf Edwards in John Huston's Moby Dick supporting "I'll Go No More A-Rovin."

BTW. Does anyone know if he perhaps played a mean temperament tuned instrument? I've been trying to match his accompaniment to A.L. Lloyd's "Tiggery Orem" on my Morse Albion (accordion reeds) and I don't seem to find the notes he is playing. I can hum it but not match it. Of course, I have a tin ear, so I am probably just grasping at straws.

https://youtu.be/VK0jrn9sGUQ

#2 JimR

JimR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

That clip is better than the book!

#3 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 04:37 PM

Here is Alf Edwards in John Huston's Moby Dick supporting "I'll Go No More A-Rovin."

BTW. Does anyone know if he perhaps played a mean temperament tuned instrument? I've been trying to match his accompaniment to A.L. Lloyd's "Tiggery Orem" on my Morse Albion (accordion reeds) and I don't seem to find the notes he is playing. I can hum it but not match it. Of course, I have a tin ear, so I am probably just grasping at straws.

Perhaps the mismatch is caused  by a  recording speed  anomaly  or Alf was playing in a strange key... though  it is entirely possible that he was playing  a Mean Tone  instrument...   or one still in pre war pitch  .

Edited by Geoff Wooff, 15 January 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#4 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3051 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 08:50 PM

Perhaps the mismatch is caused  by a  recording speed  anomaly  or Alf was playing in a strange key... though  it is entirely possible that he was playing  a Mean Tone  instrument...   or one still in pre war pitch  .

But I doubt any of that would make it difficult to play the notes he’s playing if you can sing them. I suspect the “tin ear” and “grasping at straws” imagery is more likely to hold the answer.

#5 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

Training one's "Tin Ears"    can be of  great benefit  because the ability to  pick up a tune  orally  is  a  very useful  device  for the musician.  The  recent development of  aids  for this  activity , like slow downer  programs for computers   and  "bracketing"  settings  for CD players  etc., make  learning by ear  and  practicing  by playing along with  recordings  much easier.  I recall  early attempts  at tune learning by jogging the needle  backwards  and  forwards  on  Vinyl  records ... I was going to say  'gramophone'  but I'm  not quite old enough to have been winding up the spring  at the  same time.

I'm sure there will before  long  arrive  a program  that  will listen to a recording and  write out the  score...  perhaps there  already is .

#6 John Wild

John Wild

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:31 PM

I heard that for technical reasons related to film production, although it is Alf Edwards you hear playing, the sound you hear was dubbed on to the film afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users