22 replies to this topic

#19 adrian brown

adrian brown

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:52 AM

The syntax is described in the ABC 1.6 spec.  The middle field can also be used.  Here is an example of using it perversely: strathspeys are normally played with the dotted-note ratios larger than 3:1.  ABC can notate that, and BarFly can play it, but staff notation converters choke on it:

X:1
T:The Earl of Angus and Arran
M:C
L:1/8
Q:1/4=108
K:Eb
B,|(6:2:2EE5 B2 {A}(6:2:4G5FE5G|(6:2:4AC5F5E  (6:2:4DB,5C5D|\
   (6:2:2EE5~B2 {A}(6:2:4G5FE5G|(5:2:4AC5F5D        E2E   :|
B|G<BE>A G<BE>d|e<EG>E  D<FF>A|G<BE>B GBE>g |f>ed>c ~B2BG |
  A<cF>A G<BE>G|F>~GA>G FEDB, |E<GF<A G<BA>c|B<ed>f  e2e2|]

I only munged the first half of the tune that way.  If you pass it to a MIDI converter it'll play just fine.

Yes, I've just tried a few experiments using the middle field and it really helps keep the MIDI playback in time. Thanks again for your help!

Adrian

#20 cboody

cboody

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:06 AM

It's unreasonable to require users of your ABC to locate and change such an obscurely named and located option.  R: is fine for personal use but not for published material.

Well, I disagree, particularly since once set off that setting is remembered. That said I have suggested that the default setting be chNged to off so this problem will disappear. And I have reported the Bourée issue.

#21 Steve Mansfield

Steve Mansfield

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:38 AM

Chuck, what is the bug reporting route for EasyAbc? There's a couple of things I've come across in the latest version that could do with reporting

#22 Jack Campin

Jack Campin

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

Try this: put "R:hornpipe" in a tune header.  Then use that header to play a hornpipe written out in two versions, one written straight and the other dotted.  Do they come out sounding the same?

It's quite common for Highland pipe reels to be written with explicit dotting.  Try one like that with a "reel" rhythm specified and you will probably get a bizarre mess.

#23 cboody

cboody

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:57 AM

Chuck, what is the bug reporting route for EasyAbc? There's a couple of things I've come across in the latest version that could do with reporting

If you post it here or on the accusers list I will see that it is forwarded. If you post it on the sourceforge EasyABC site the supporters will see it and so will I.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ABC, notation, triplets, tuplets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users