4 replies to this topic

#1 John Wild

John Wild

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:46 AM

I recently posted this in the Concertina videos and music forum, but maybe it should have been here in the tunes forum.

My apologies to the administartors if I have messed things up.

At the recent Whitby folk week, some friends were staying a few miles out at the village of Aislaby. After a pleasant evening hosted by them, when we were leaving, there was an amazing red moon. Back home soon after, I found this tune emerging, and I had to call it "Aislaby moon". I did get a photo of the moon, though it is not professional standard.

I am attaching here the photo of the moon, and the tune in a PDF file.

I hope this ABC transxcription is correct:

X:JW1
T:Aislaby Moon
C:John E.Wild
W: Inspired by the sight of a red moon over the village of Aislaby, near Whitby, 22/08/2016.
M:3/4
L:1/4
K:F
|C||:FCF|G>AB|c-ce/d/|c2d/e/|f>ed|BGA|B>cB|1 G2C:|2 G-GA/B/||
|:cAc|f>ed|BG>A|B2d/c/|B>cd|fcA|AG>A|1 G2A/B/:|2 F3||

Any difference between the abc and the music notation means my error in the abc.

- John Wild.

Attached File  Aislaby Moon -F.pdf   14.14KB   77 downloads

092.JPG

#2 Robin Tims

Robin Tims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:12 PM

John that is a really pleasing Waltz which we found sounds good on English Concertina/s, nice to have a melody in F for a change and that key suits the mood doesn't it. Thanks for sharing it.

Errrrmm, shame about the picture, though I get the idea ! Moons are notoriously difficult to make convincing pics of, I find. Must have been a really memorable moment.

'best

Rob

#3 John Wild

John Wild

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:20 PM

Thank you Robin.  I originally wrote it out in G, then tried a few transpositions and settled on F.

I have a very basic point and shoot camera. More controlled zoom was needed for a good photo.

Best wishes,

John.

#4 Robin Tims

Robin Tims

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 11:09 AM

I may well be disembowelled by Forum members for saying this John, but your 'Aislaby Moon' sounds wonderfully atmospheric on a mildly wet-tuned Piano Accordion ( "a WHAT ?" they cried). I've been playing it half the afternoon !

The chords are pretty obvious in the main, but I successfully tried Gm for bars 6 and 12.

BTW Have to say it's good too (except I cannot manage any chords at the moment) on a C/G anglo with a pull G to leave a finger free for a pull B flat (still an Anglo novice so that might be dubious).

'best

Rob

#5 John Wild

John Wild

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 04 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

Well you are delving into areas I know nothing about. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users