1 reply to this topic

#1 Stephen Selby

Stephen Selby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:57 AM

When Whetstone re-built old instruments in the 1950s, did they give the reed pans a new serial number?

I have an Aeola 81 button McCann Chidley variation duet. The serial number on the nickel-silver end is 25260 (1911 production ), but the number on the reed pan is 88. 

For a Chidley duet lay-out, it must have been modified post-1950. There are no papers on the reed pan.

Alternatively, this is a post-1950 duet and someone has put old ends on it. The ends seem to have been re-plated.

#2 JimLucas

JimLucas

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10127 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:00 AM

I have an Aeola 81 button McCann Chidley variation duet. The serial number on the nickel-silver end is 25260 (1911 production ), but the number on the reed pan is 88.

Such a low number on the reed pan would be a batch number during construction, not a serial number, so there's nothing unusual about the two being different.

My own 81-button (80+air) Maccann, which was apparently rebuilt in the 1950s, does have two different serial numbers, but it also has two separate serial-number entries in the Wheatstone ledgers, and each entry names the other serial number.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wheatstone, serial numbers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users