Peacock Special Hayden Duet For Sale In Europe

Defra

I'm selling my Peacock Hayden Duet concertina by Concertina Connection with 42 buttons + air that I only recently acquired second-hand from another forum member who also didn't stick with the duet system so played it only lightly. It's in great, unblemished shape with a matt black finish and excellent 6-fold Wakker bellows that haven't yet been played in. Domed and bushed metal buttons. Serial no. 090, made when there were 3 versions of the Peacock - Standard, Special and Custom. Now I believe there are only 2 models available.

This is an accordion-reeded hybrid duet but I find that it has the closest to a "concertina" type sound of other hybrids I have played. Lovely tone and good volume. It is lightweight and has a very responsive and smooth action. It comes with the original, good quality hard case.

So why am I selling? Well, I've been well and truly bitten by the concertina bug (or concertina acquisition syndrome) and have been trying out different systems, but living where I do means buying unseen. I've simply come to the conclusion that I'm more suited to the English system!

I'm not looking to make money on the concertinas I sell but I hope to avoid losing any so I'm asking what I paid: £1,500 or the equivalent in euros. As well as costing less than a new model, there will also be none of the very expensive import duties for European buyers purchasing from the USA. I'm also willing to listen to reasonable offers.

I can send more photos and probably a basic recording to anyone interested. I'm happy to discuss it over the 'phone or Skype if required, just send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for reading,

Dean

post-10478-0-68774300-1445244057_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-16878600-1445244093_thumb.jpg

post-10478-0-76221100-1445244118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Defra

• 2 weeks later...

Dean,

Wim has a nice trade in program where he will give you the full purchase price for the instrument if you upgrade to a professional model. I imagine that this would include trading up to get an English. Just a thought. You might be able to get a great concertina for a very reasonable price this way. The Concertina Connection web site explains the trade in program.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

Noel

Dean,

Wim has a nice trade in program where he will give you the full purchase price for the instrument if you upgrade to a professional model. I imagine that this would include trading up to get an English. Just a thought. You might be able to get a great concertina for a very reasonable price this way. The Concertina Connection web site explains the trade in program.

http://www.concertinaconnection.com/

Noel

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's not quite as straight forward as that, at least here in Europe, where you have to have bought through a dealer that has agreed to adhered to the trade-in scheme.

Cheers,

Dean

Dean

Wim told me that he would take back any instrument he made in exchange for a higher priced instrument, including instruments sold through a dealer. You have to do the trade directly with Wim.

Don.

Hi Don,

Thanks that's useful to know in case I can't sell within Europe. That's still my priority as the $ to € exchange rate is terrible right now (at least for Europeans!).

Cheers,

Dean

Just a thought, although I'm still trying to sell the Peacock through Cnet and Ebay France (doesn't show up on any other Ebays unfortunately), I would also be open to a trade for a good quality vintage English concertina of a comparable value if there are any EC players out there wanting to have a crack at the Hayden system on a very good quality instrument.

Cheers,

Dean

I have previously purchased a concertina from Dean, aka Defra, and it all went very smoothly. A very pleasant transaction - and for me a very nice concertina.

I just mention this in case anyone is looking at this thread and has some reservations about buying through a peer-to-peer forum.

I've now dropped the price on French Ebay so it's only fair I do the same here - now £1,300 or €1,850. I'll throw in free postage in Europe if I sell through Cnet (and will also donate to this site). Yes, I really prefer to avoid Ebay if I can...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably a bad time to be trying to sell just before Christmas but here's one last effort : £1,200 or €1,650!

Definitely a good deal for a Peacock in this condition if you look at the price of importing into Europe from the US.

No longer available through Ebay as at this price plus Ebay's fees, I'd be losing too much money. I will however contribute to Cnet if I sell through this site.

Cheers,

Dean

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New price: €1,600. This is a real bargain for anyone interested in a Peacock concertina in excellent condition (and even more so for anyone outside the Eurozone given the very weak euro). The only reason it hasn't already sold is that I live in France and have been unable to post on the UK and US versions of ebay because I have never sold anything else on ebay. I had it on French Ebay for a while but there are very few people in France interested in such an instrument. I pulled it from there but still have it on a more popular French selling site - www.leboncoin.fr

I'm losing big money at this price :( but I don't believe in hanging onto instruments that aren't getting played enough and am chalking the duet system up to an interesting learning experience that didn't quite suit me.

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by Defra

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Despite my previous post about not going any lower I've decided to cut my losses as I don't believe in keeping an instrument that's not getting played.

Now re-posted on Ebay France. 4 days to go and 1 bid at €1,200, which may or may not be genuine, so here's a chance to get a bargain for anyone wanting to try out the Hayden system on a quality instrument : http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Concertina-Peacock-Hayden-Duet-/322036109190?hash=item4afad90f86:g:ebkAAOSwPc9W0A47

Thanks for looking,

Dean

Edited by Defra