Photo

Poll: Tune Of The Month For July, 2015

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll: TOTM July 2015 (31 member(s) have cast votes)

Which tune would you like to learn, record and post?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#19 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:21 AM

10 votes so far.

If yours isn't one of them, do you have a preference?

Up to 16 now and I suspect we have a winner already - unless there's a late surge!

Surprise in the making... :rolleyes:

#20 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 07:53 AM

Surprise in the making... :rolleyes:

Wow, it looks like a landslide. I never expected that!

#21 Howard Mitchell-Borts

Howard Mitchell-Borts

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

...Bending the Ferret, written by Doug Eunson....

I'm a bit curious about the origin of the name here, since I've heard the concertina referred to as a/the "leather ferret", but I haven't heard or seen that name applied to other squeezeboxes.  I see from Doug's Facebook page that he plays melodeon, but does he also play concertina?

Doug doesn't play concertina. He's a master of melodeon and hurdy gurdy and has a fine voice. Someone referred to his melodeon playing, possibly for Stone Monkey Rapper as Bending the Ferret so he wrote a tune to match. I played with him in The Ram Company and continue to do so in The a Derbyshire Volunteers. He also has an occasional ceilidh band called Bending the Ferret of which I am an occasional member.

Mitch

#22 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

I'm a bit curious about the origin of the name here, since I've heard the concertina referred to as a/the "leather ferret", but I haven't heard or seen that name applied to other squeezeboxes.  I see from Doug's Facebook page that he plays melodeon, but does he also play concertina?

Doug doesn't play concertina. He's a master of melodeon and hurdy gurdy and has a fine voice. Someone referred to his melodeon playing, possibly for Stone Monkey Rapper as Bending the Ferret so he wrote a tune to match. I played with him in The Ram Company and continue to do so in The a Derbyshire Volunteers. He also has an occasional ceilidh band called Bending the Ferret of which I am an occasional member.

Mitch

Cool. IT's a great tune. I learned it from a melodeon player from Toronto, where the tune is a regular at the local English session.

#23 Howard Mitchell-Borts

Howard Mitchell-Borts

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Mitch

Cool. IT's a great tune. I learned it from a melodeon player from Toronto, where the tune is a regular at the local English session.

Here's Doug with his wife Sarah on Fiddle and Ollie on soprano sax playing a medley contains Bending the Ferret.
https://youtu.be/zdv43UDLczg

#24 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Here's Doug with his wife Sarah on Fiddle and Ollie on soprano sax playing a medley contains Bending the Ferret.
https://youtu.be/zdv43UDLczg

Thanks for that; always great to hear a tune by its composer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users