68 replies to this topic

#37 robotmay

robotmay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:50 AM

I have now owned a rather lovely anglo for all of two days! First tune I've learnt to a reasonable degree is one of my favourites, the South Downs Jig by Jim Harding, which is nice and straightforward :D

https://soundcloud.c...uth-downs-jig-1

It's so nice having more options for accompaniment than on the melodeon, and I'm already working on a tune in Gm which I couldn't even attempt on my 2-row D/G box.

#38 chas

chas

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 06:56 AM

Lovely tune and beautifully played - have you done anything else in the last two days apart from play your new anglo?

#39 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:27 AM

I have now owned a rather lovely anglo for all of two days! First tune I've learnt to a reasonable degree is one of my favourites, the South Downs Jig by Jim Harding, which is nice and straightforward :D

It's so nice having more options for accompaniment than on the melodeon, and I'm already working on a tune in Gm which I couldn't even attempt on my 2-row D/G box.

Only two days? First tune? Amazing!

#40 Rod

Rod

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

I think my original 20 button Scholer was playing the chorus of ' Burlington Bertie ' before I could get it out of the box, but then my memory is not what it was !

#41 robotmay

robotmay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:12 AM

Lovely tune and beautifully played - have you done anything else in the last two days apart from play your new anglo?

Thanks! I have been playing it at pretty much every opportunity, including sat in the car at a motorway service station  :D

Only two days? First tune? Amazing!

Thanks! I did have a bit of a head-start in that I play quite a lot of tunes in the upper octave of the melodeon, so once I figured out the different cross-row fingering it started making more sense. And it's awesome being able to play across both sides of the instrument  :)

#42 JimLucas

JimLucas

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10128 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

... my memory is not what it was !

You can remember what it used to be?  ;)

#43 chas

chas

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

It's a bit warmer and sunnier here today so I felt an Italian jig coming on:

Tarantella di Ronciglione as a single line melody and Tarantella Calabria with a few chords, played on our old Wheatstone English.

Some loss of concentration towards the end but I've decided to stick with the first take anyway.

#44 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2560 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Tarantella di Ronciglione as a single line melody and Tarantella Calabria with a few chords, played on our old Wheatstone English.

Some loss of concentration towards the end but I've decided to stick with the first take anyway.

Very nice variation Jignatius! I particularly like the second one (with the harmony in parallel thirds, a thing I'm doing very rarly, positivly works here)!

Best wishes - Wolf

#45 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

I was hoping we'd get some Italian tunes! Thanks.

#46 chas

chas

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:52 AM

Very nice variation Jignatius! I particularly like the second one (with the harmony in parallel thirds, a thing I'm doing very rarly, positivly works here)!

Best wishes - Wolf

Thanks Wolf.  The parallel thirds thing feels a bit lazy but it's nice for a bar or two sometimes.  This tune also lends itself to sustaining notes to build chords.

<<I was hoping we'd get some Italian tunes! Thanks.>>

Aren't they great? I've only recently discovered them.  Must look for some more.

#47 robotmay

robotmay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 06:08 PM

Figured I'd record the other jig I've been learning this week; the lovely but somewhat of a pain New May Moon: https://soundcloud.c...he-new-may-moon

I haven't quite got the coordination between my hands right yet, and I seem to have reverted to how I first learnt the melodeon: play it faster and hopefully the mistakes will just whizz past :blink:

#48 Rod

Rod

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1047 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 12:31 AM

I wish you luck in your hope that by playing ever faster errors will fly by un-noticed. We have to try everything. !

#49 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Figured I'd record the other jig I've been learning this week; the lovely but somewhat of a pain New May Moon: https://soundcloud.c...he-new-may-moon

I haven't quite got the coordination between my hands right yet, and I seem to have reverted to how I first learnt the melodeon: play it faster and hopefully the mistakes will just whizz past :blink:

Your coordination sounds pretty darned good. And the speed seems fine. This strikes me as the kind of jig that sounds good at very different speeds.

#50 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2560 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:06 AM

Your coordination sounds pretty darned good. And the speed seems fine. This strikes me as the kind of jig that sounds good at very different speeds.

I second that!

#51 Tootler

Tootler

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 03:43 PM

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

Edited by Tootler, 23 March 2015 - 05:57 AM.

#52 Jim Besser

Jim Besser

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2363 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

Here are two Northumbrian Jigs. Lamb Skinnet & Wood Nunrich Fair.

Lamb Skinnett I learned off Theo Gibb (who is a member here) and Wood Nunrich Fair I found in a book of tunes for Northumbrian Pipes.

Multi tracked with Morse CG Anglo, Tenor ukulele and bass recorder. I used pitch shift in Audacity to lower the bass recorder an octave to give a proper bass sound. I have a contrabass recorder which is an octave below the bass recorder but it's rather large and needs a lot of breath so it's a bit difficult to record with. I decided to pitch shift a standard bass recorder instead.

I must get round to listening to some of the other entries and commenting, now.

I'm getting  a 'not found' message. Can you recheck the link?

#53 robotmay

robotmay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:57 PM

I second that!

Thanks guys! I've been playing it a lot more this weekend and think I've got a better hang of it now. Also been attempting that first part of the B section which was annoying me.

I was introduced to another fun jig this weekend which fits really well on the concertina, might get that recorded before the end of the month too :)

#54 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2560 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:35 PM

I second that!

Thanks guys! I've been playing it a lot more this weekend and think I've got a better hang of it now. Also been attempting that first part of the B section which was annoying me.

I was introduced to another fun jig this weekend which fits really well on the concertina, might get that recorded before the end of the month too :)

Looking forward to listening to that too...!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users