38 replies to this topic

#37 Stefan

Stefan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:23 PM

I´ve also enjoyed  each contribution. Everyone really showed a different side of the song. Starting with Bobs relaxed version where I think I can hear  that he knows the song for a long time, also the instrumental is very nice. Then Jim Bessers dancing Morris interpretation which has quite a „soul“ feeling to me.  To hear songs from people that play concertina for a long time is always like a good wine or aged whiskey for the ears. Jim Lucas, very enjoyable with a light touch. Darias version really cheers me up. Tona, to me, always sets  a new standard by himself, the quality and sound of his playing are outstanding. And then there is Jody of course, a class of his own (my girlfriend just said „Johnny Cash on the concertina“ as she heard the recording). This version could easily be on a CD, it´s flawless.

Steve, I would be really curious to hear your version. Maybe you can do one after your folk festival?. The song is really fun to play.

#38 tona

tona

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

Kind words Stefan for everybody, thanks! Yours is very inspired and creative too. And i am agree with you about the fabulous rendition of Jody´s!..

Edited by tona, 20 March 2015 - 05:12 PM.

#39 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2564 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

OK, here's a taste of my Jamaica Farewell. 

https://soundcloud.c...amaica-farewell

I love the TOTM challenge. Without it, I would not have considered this fine song for reasons mentioned above. It was way over played, but that was 50 years ago. Time for a new look.

Great version Jody, you really made the song your own!

Best wishes - Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users