285 replies to this topic

#271 greenferry

greenferry

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

I'm afraid the date is already set - 6th to 9th October (see my signature!).

Ooops! I missed that. Well it's no problem for me, and will be a very pretty time of year, as well!

#272 polkabeast

polkabeast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

Loves me some Arran Island ... everything about it!

#273 sailarrgh

sailarrgh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:03 AM

My goodness, what a most delightful thread. I'm in the throws of deciding to take up a friend's offer to 'hang out' for a musical week some distance north of Arran just before the ACE. That being the case you may add another pretty raw beginner to the roster.

Cheers, JD

#274 RustyH

RustyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:47 PM

I was there about a month ago to go paragliding, didn't even really know a concertina was on my horizon. Loved the place so much, the woman whose B & B we stayed at is now all excited about house trading. I'd move there if I had to take up residence in the UK, and now I have another reason. Well, back to B. Levy to see if I can get my fingers through another session of Twinkle, Twinkle...oh, and people have been living there for over 10,000 years, now I know why, it's beautiful.

#275 Samantha

Samantha

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:16 PM

I was there about a month ago to go paragliding, didn't even really know a concertina was on my horizon. Loved the place so much, the woman whose B & B we stayed at is now all excited about house trading. I'd move there if I had to take up residence in the UK, and now I have another reason. Well, back to B. Levy to see if I can get my fingers through another session of Twinkle, Twinkle...oh, and people have been living there for over 10,000 years, now I know why, it's beautiful.

Rusty, if you were paragliding at Kilmory you were outside my windows! do come back in October for the ACE if you can!
All the best
Samantha

#276 Henk van Aalten

Henk van Aalten

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

As the next Arran Concertina Event is approaching, I thought it's about time to "dig up" this old post and put it back on top of the list ;) . It looks like it's going to be another special event this year! I'm really looking forward to cross the water to this charming island of Arran and enjoy everything that makes the Arran Concertina Event so special.

You can find more information at the ACE website and of course the recent post of Samantha Payne.

#277 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:12 AM

You can find more information at the ACE website and of course the recent post of Samantha Payne.

Samantha Payne? Is that the same person as Samantha Boorer or have I been confusing two people (neither of whom I've met) all these years?

#278 chris

chris

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hi
I think that you're very lucky if you've only managed to confuse two people. I've confused lots and lots (as well as myself :blink: ) over the years.
chris (perpetually confused by life and the universe and knowing that the answer to the ultimate question was 42 didn't help!)

#279 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:24 AM

chris (perpetually confused by life and the universe and knowing that the answer to the ultimate question was 42 didn't help!)

On my 42nd birthday my wife and I went to a dance and brought a cake. My wife had arranged with the organizer to have a bit of a "surprise" celebration during the break. At the entrance to the dance each person was encouraged to make a name tag and wear it. I made one that said:

David Barnert
The answer is 42.

Some people understood it before the break, but it took on a whole new meaning afterward.

Edited for formatting.

Edited by David Barnert, 16 September 2008 - 10:25 AM.

#280 Samantha

Samantha

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 12:30 PM

Samantha Payne? Is that the same person as Samantha Boorer or have I been confusing two people (neither of whom I've met) all these years?

One and the same (though it's Payn [no "e"] actually). I got married in April 2007 :wub:
Samantha

#281 Paul Read

Paul Read

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 01:50 PM

As the next Arran Concertina Event is approaching, I thought it's about time to "dig up" this old post and put it back on top of the list ;) .

Complete with grocer's apostrophe I see!

#282 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:18 PM

As the next Arran Concertina Event is approaching, I thought it's about time to "dig up" this old post and put it back on top of the list ;) .

Complete with grocer's apostrophe I see!

Careful, Paul. The apostrophe is appropriate. Contraction of "it is." A grocer's apostrophe would be "everything in it's place" or, worse (but the original meaning of the word) "apple's and orange's."

One and the same (though it's Payn [no "e"] actually). I got married in April 2007 :wub:
Samantha

Well, (belated) congratulations, Samantha.

#283 Paul Read

Paul Read

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1725 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

Careful, Paul. The apostrophe is appropriate. Contraction of "it is." A grocer's apostrophe would be "everything in it's place" or, worse (but the original meaning of the word) "apple's and orange's."

[

Dave, I'm talking about "concertina's". To me it looks like they were trying for the plural (as in potatoe's) :unsure:

#284 David Barnert

David Barnert

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3036 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:29 PM

Dave, I'm talking about "concertina's". To me it looks like they were trying for the plural (as in potatoe's) :unsure:

Ah, you're talking about the title of the thread. It took me forever to find it because it's not in the passage you quoted. Henk started this thread 4 years and 16 pages ago. That apostrophe's been there all this time.

#285 Michael Marino

Michael Marino

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:28 AM

IF my wife has had our newest child i hope to be there, just need to get things together so that IF the possibility arrives i can catch a train and boat and get there quick (living on the east side in Edinburgh).

Michael

#286 Henk van Aalten

Henk van Aalten

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1082 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

For those who were not there...

We (see photo below) had a great weekend on Arran.

Posted Image

Good company, good food, good music, great place to stay, fair wheather. Read more at:
http://www.anglo-concertina.net/ace/

see you next year??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users