5 replies to this topic

#1 StuartEstell

StuartEstell

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:36 AM

Here's the Katrina & the Waves song "Going Down to Liverpool" which the Bangles subsequently covered, my version being based more on theirs than the original.

Admittedly, the concertina plays a much-reduced role in this - I used it to imitate the way the Bangles did their backing vocals in their version of the song, so it's quite low in the mix, and doesn't appear immediately.

I never really finished it, and despite the fact that if I were to revisit it now I'd certainly redo the bits where the high notes in the vocal veer off pitch, when I found it again yesterday I was pleased with the gentle bluegrassy feel of the arrangement, so I thought I'd share.

https://soundcloud.c...the-waves-cover

Edited by StuartEstell, 23 October 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#2 HansiRowe

HansiRowe

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:57 AM

Another great track that takes me back to the good old days… I like the style of this, and, in the best possible way, it reminds me of the 70s and a number of bands from that era. Great music... keep digging behind that sofa!

#3 Frank Dudgeon

Frank Dudgeon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:55 PM

Another great track that takes me back to the good old days… I like the style of this, and, in the best possible way, it reminds me of the 70s and a number of bands from that era. Great music... keep digging behind that sofa!

I agree.  Those of us "of a certain age" had a good soundtrack.  There are, of course, many artists in many genres doing just as interesting and compelling music, but it's good to be reminded of old favorites. 

Thanks again,

Frank

#4 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2555 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:58 PM

I was pleased with the gentle bluegrassy feel of the arrangement, so I thought I'd share.

This is just what I really like with this recording!

#5 StuartEstell

StuartEstell

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:48 PM

Thank you all - I was an impressionable 11-year-old when The Bangles were at their commercial peak, so they had quite an effect on me at the time  :)

It's a really great song, though, isn't it? Funny how some of the folkiest songs of recent times come from less folky quarters.

#6 Eric Barker

Eric Barker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:11 PM

I love the whole package with this song. I ofter think of rock as modern folk music and this cover fits the folk process so well. The song sounds both modern and ancient at the same time. I could see an amazing celebration of Liverpool including this treatment.  Good job!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maccann Duet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users