3 replies to this topic

#1 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc...  even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things).  I've posted in this forum a few times, re such, though it was quite a while ago.

Doing considerably better, lately.  For the record, I've discovered that I'm greatly helped by wearing a compression sleeve and also a compression gauntlet, at least a few times a week. (Not every glove/gauntlet I wear is compression, at all times.)  I had lymphangitis in my left arm and lots of hand trouble -- swelling, etc..  So, a big thanks to the arm sleeves made by LympheDIVAs (notably better than some brands).

But, what I wanted to mention this time is my new manual coffee grinder.  If you are a concertina player and also a coffee drinker, I recommend giving one a whirl!  

I got a Hario -- 

Hario Coffee Hand Grinder Skerton

Grinding up my morning's coffee beans, I notice a good little workout for my shoulder, upper and lower arms, wrists, fingers -- I switch hands while grinding.  

I noticed that if you buy beans that are too tough and woody, it's no fun... but that was only one bad brand.  Then I got better beans, and it's much easier.  

For the record, if you break the glass jar of the Hario grinder, you can substitute a canning jar, it'll fit.  

Anyway, that's the one I bought -- of course there are many other hand mills that are probably great.  

Edited by bellowbelle, 11 May 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#2 JimLucas

JimLucas

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10128 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:01 AM

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc...  even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things).

Ouch!  I've heard/read of a duet or two with only one end, for one-handed musicians.  And I've seen a one-armed anglo player using only one end of his instrument.  But you play English!

"Complicate", indeed!  :o

Very glad it didn't come to that.

#3 Wolf Molkentin

Wolf Molkentin

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2559 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 04:48 AM

For the record, if you break the glass jar of the Hario grinder, you can substitute a canning jar, it'll fit.  

Do you speak from personal experience?  :D

But above all: Best wishes for further recovery! Great that you manage to play your instrument at this point...

#4 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:32 AM

I know what it's like to have problems with a shoulder, arm, wrist, hand, etc...  even to the point where I began to think I was eventually going to have to lose my left arm (and wow, that would really complicate things).

Ouch!  I've heard/read of a duet or two with only one end, for one-handed musicians.  And I've seen a one-armed anglo player using only one end of his instrument.  But you play English!

"Complicate", indeed!  :o

Very glad it didn't come to that.

Me too!  :unsure:  It was 'lymphangitis' in the arm that made me wonder.  So now I know about lymphedema and all that.  I did have some official medical help, but I actually got more help from the web and a guy in a waiting room at a clinic!  

Do you speak from personal experience?  :D

But above all: Best wishes for further recovery! Great that you manage to play your instrument at this point...

Thanks.

Yup, personal experience.  Klutzy me...  I broke the glass jar.   Anyway, now I don't feel so bad that I bought too many canning jars (didn't use any of them for canning  ^_^ ).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users