125 replies to this topic

#109 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'm going to revisit this tune, as I will most likely all of them in time. I don't like the key that I played it in. It sounds way too muddy. So I'm going to do Parson's Farewell in the key of B minor (D).

Yes! A good idea .. it will be brighter and 'jolly'.I look forward to hearing that. :)

#110 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Okay, here it is -- in the key of D/Bm.

Parsons Farewell in Bm
http://snd.sc/11jwdnA

... Having trouble linking this right now and I need to get outta here...but that link will work.

--- And a 'thank you' to Geoff Woof for saying something encouraging... it helped!

Edited by bellowbelle, 26 July 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#111 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

I've added another take in the key of Fm(Ab), to soundcloud (will add link later).

Same is at:
box.com/totm (in the file for May)

#112 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Cannot get this to play for me Bellowgirl... so cannot comment... :(

#113 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:21 AM

Does this help?

#114 Defra

Defra

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:20 AM

I've added another take in the key of Fm(Ab), to soundcloud (will add link later).

Same is at:

Loved that, Bellowbelle. That foot bass is amazing. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but did you play the concertina and foot bass simultaneously, or did you record the bass afterwards?

Thanks,

Dean

Edited by Defra, 29 July 2013 - 02:21 AM.

#115 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

Does this help?

Err??? NO  ... it gets me the Fm version... and very good too  but I still don't get the  Bm.

#116 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:39 AM

Does this help?

Err??? NO  ... it gets me the Fm version... and very good too  but I still don't get the  Bm.

Didn't know what had been wrong - so here is the Bm take.

#117 Geoff Wooff

Geoff Wooff

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:25 AM

Does this help?

Didn't know what had been wrong - so here is the Bm take.

Thanks Wolf... it gets me to the Bm  but still does not play for me.... not to worry I have a good imagination and lots of other stuff to do, so I'll try later.

#118 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:12 AM

Okay... well, I've updated a little bit at Soundcloud, and I'd had a duplicate file at one point. Maybe there was some problem due to deleting that one...

Anyway, it seems that I can't use this forum editor today, with our computer. I didn't change any settings on the computer. So, I'll get back to that later.

Everything should be accessible, now.... either at SC or at the box.com/totm link.

I like SC but I already pay for Box, so eventually, as sounds pile up, I may just be using Box.

#119 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Whoops... quick reply, Defra...

Recorded all together. (Took a few takes.) I just use a simple voice recorder set a few feet away. It's not 'great' but it works out alright.

Back later...

#120 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

Same is at:

Loved that, Bellowbelle. That foot bass is amazing. Excuse me if this is a dumb question, but did you play the concertina and foot bass simultaneously, or did you record the bass afterwards?
Thanks,
Dean

...Back again.

Not a dumb question!

It's a bit of a workout, for me, playing that thing! I don't think I play it with as much sophistication as some players do -- delicately working it into those Victorian-era songs, etc. -- though I HAVE been trying to play it without it sounding like I'm just whomping on it recklessly.

It IS a bit of a workout, for me, to play -- good exercise I guess. The tones are arranged by the Circle of Fifths, on the foot bass. So, when I played Parsons Farewell in the key of B minor (a.k.a. D major), it was totally my left foot (and leg) working. When I played the same song but in the key of F minor (a.k.a. Ab major), it was my right foot/leg that got the workout. (Of course, some keys call for both feet.)

It's loud enough to cover a few quiet little wheezes and groans that I notice do show up every now and then. I'm still working on playing it just right!

#121 Defra

Defra

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

Same is at:

Thanks,
Dean

...Back again.

Not a dumb question!

It's a bit of a workout, for me, playing that thing! I don't think I play it with as much sophistication as some players do -- delicately working it into those Victorian-era songs, etc. -- though I HAVE been trying to play it without it sounding like I'm just whomping on it recklessly.

It IS a bit of a workout, for me, to play -- good exercise I guess. The tones are arranged by the Circle of Fifths, on the foot bass. So, when I played Parsons Farewell in the key of B minor (a.k.a. D major), it was totally my left foot (and leg) working. When I played the same song but in the key of F minor (a.k.a. Ab major), it was my right foot/leg that got the workout. (Of course, some keys call for both feet.)

It's loud enough to cover a few quiet little wheezes and groans that I notice do show up every now and then. I'm still working on playing it just right!

Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit it's the first time I've heard of such an instrument and heard one in action - very effective. I'd love to see a video of you in action on both instruments if you ever get chance! Thanks again, Dean

#122 bellowbelle

bellowbelle

Heavyweight Boxer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:35 AM

.......................Thanks for the explanation. I have to admit it's the first time I've heard of such an instrument and heard one in action - very effective. I'd love to see a video of you in action on both instruments if you ever get chance! Thanks again, Dean

One of these days I'll try to record a video of the whole deal, and post it at YouTube... hopefully.

I know I have a few little videos of the foot bass being played, so if I can find them I'll add a link.
What little recording I do is already so time-consuming! Not enough hours in the day...

#123 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:14 PM

Had to relearn me own arrangement - this is how I take it precisely one year later:

Parson's Farewell (re-recorded)

#124 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Another take

following some very good advice as I hope...  :)

#125 RAc

RAc

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

Another take

following some very good advice as I hope...  :)

well, this is certainly well played in termes of techinque/ bellow control etc. As far as the arrangement is concerned - I do believe you are overdoing it a wee little bit. It's a rather simplistic melody, and it's easy to douse a simple melody with too complicated a chord progression. To my ear this is what happens here - there is so much going on in the bass that the ear has trouble figuring out which line takes the lead.

I would take a tune like that more rudimentary with the accompaniment and leave the intricate bass lines to the more nutritious melodies. But then again, that's just my impression.

#126 blue eyed sailor

blue eyed sailor

Ineluctable Opinionmaker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2553 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:45 AM

Rüdiger, thank you very much for the attention and reviewing, and the affirmative part ot the latter too... :)

I thank you as well for bringing your critical view and questioning to my attention, and I may have to concede that my approach to the EC is in the danger of rather doing too much than being too rudimentary.

However, in this case it's just how I "hear" this dance tune, with its melody being so simple just in order to evoke harmonic progressions and a strong beat. I love to include single line melody playing as sort of variation, mainly in the beginning or at the end of a slow air, lament and the likes (like I did it very recently here, to a good appeal as I believe).

You might have another listen with this concept in mind if you'd like to, which possibly would change your mind and possibly wouldn't at all. Anyways, criticism I find always helpful because it induces me if not to alter the concept but to still make it clearer with my playing the tune...

Thanks again! Best wishes - Wolf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users