mandy , Drogheda Lasses , at Royal Oak Folk Club , Lewes

her cuts are among my favorites on the "anglo international" cd.....i recall the liner notes saying that paddy carty was her biggest role model (or something like that).....i wish she would do a cd of the east galway and other music she learned from paddy carty and the other masters she came up with in london....her playing is so lovely...

I came on this as I was checking Vic Smith's excellent Mudcat listings. Excellent

I met Mandy (Murray ) recently in Lewes and hopefully asked her to put out a CD! If I get to Brighton I will definitely get to her sessions

http://uk.myspace.com/music/player?sid=75785588&ac=now

Mike, thanks so much for posting this. Mandy has always been my favorite Irish concertina player, all the way back to the wonderful "Aleanna" album. No one else puts in the hesitations and syncopations that she does that make her tunes really come alive. And yes, a solo CD is long overdue and I would buy it sight unseen!

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered it and it came from Korea within a few days! A Big Pink reissue of the original LP produced by Brendan Mulkere.. How does it all work? A very young Mandy Murray playing in the group. All so young and talented and in touch with the older generation in London and Ireland.

On another web page I found a discussion that reckons Big Pink is a pirate outfit but some people felt it could bring musicians back into people's awareness and give them a new lease of life , if they want it.

It appears they take old vynil and make CDs which may get a market using eBay or Amazon. Maybe Youtube is a better way to help the artist.

It appears they take old vynil and make CDs which may get a market using eBay or Amazon. Maybe Youtube is a better way to help the artist.

As wonderful as youtube is, you'll be an awfully long time watching videos before it adds up to supporting the artist. More practical to just mail a fiver to Brighton.