7th Annual Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game

Hi all,

It is my pleasure once again to declare this year's annual Charles Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent game open for business. Last year's thoroughly worthy winner was Woody, and I call on him to set any special rules for this game and make the first move. Samantha is once again on hand to "big up" (as I believe the youngsters say) everyone's points. Since it proved so successful last year I shall once again refrain from play and take the role of adjudicator or, as we say in game talk, the Chairman.

It is especially satisfying to be able to start the game today, the day our dear Queen (God bless her) ascended the throne. It is not widely known that at the time she was informed of her father's death she was in the Treetops Hotel in Kenya trying to make a Triple Helsinki reversing via Wood Green to Mornington Crescent, a truly queenly move.

So in that spirit, let play commence!

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Chris

It might be somewhat controversial but, as many people seem to be saying that the world will end this year, it seems appropriate that we revisit Aleister Crowley's apocalyptic rewrite of Morganson's floating rules subset, commonly known as "Dark tunnels and festering pits." However to avoid a complete slide into depravity there will be no "double back-whumping" allowed, and don't even think about a "Wellington's Fancy!"

To save us from the unmittigated filth and gloom, in respect for her Maj's sadly interrupted game, and in honour of it's 30th year in operation - the playing area will be extended to include the Helsinki Metro. For those unfamiliar with this system, a map can be found at http://www.hel2.fi/HKL/www/metrokartta.jpg . This is the first time that it has guested in the great game since 1994 so we are very fotunate that it can spare the time to join us. Please note that due to Climate Change some London stations South of the river are subject to Admiralty Law.

Bonus points will be awarded for exceptional plays, penalties will be applied for bringing the game into disrepute. As we all know, a good positive score can be the difference between success and failure - so keep it clean please ladies & gents.

My thanks to Samantha for taking me down into the archives and letting me rummage in her drawers until I was completely satified. Hot and sweaty work, and none too pleasant for our Sam I'm sure, but she stuck to the task without complaint until the job was done. As you can well imagine, this was a great relief for me!

So enough chattering and lets get this game on the track.....

I play Rautatientori

Edited by Woody

Well, Woody controversial as always. I well remember in the Southern Circuit Playtex Cross-Your-Heart Girdle finals 5 years ago the mayhem he caused by his deployment of the Cthulhu double-cross and the problems we had afterwards cleaning up the hordes of the undead. How we laughed.

It is obviously in this vein (ho ho) that Woody has proposed the Crowlean rewrite. This clearly puts any Atlantean Adepts in our midst at an advantage, but I shall watch for that and issue handicaps if they seem reasonable or for a small bribe.

I am not so sure about his Helsinki proposal, which I think stems from a mis-reading of Her Majesty's motives in Kenya and her awareness (great literary scholar that She is) that the following day, i.e. today, is Dickens birthday. This clearly modifies the intention of the Helsinki move to bring the entire region of the Baltics into Nidd and hence out of play. I applaud Woody's innovation and hence rule that his move of Rautatientori stands but that moves should follow normal play after this.

Woody's note about Admiralty Law is well made. Thank you.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

...the playing area will be extended to include the Helsinki Metro.

Once again I fear I must refrain from play and just observe from a distance. But this time the cause is not merely my total ignorance of the game (I blame my Yankee upbringing for that), but the fact that for the duration of the game I expect to be at a great distance from any underground. I abandoned Stockholm's Tunnelbana (underground) just yesterday, and I'm now in an isolated village in the middle of a forest on the opposite side of Sweden. Besides, while Swedish is the second official language of Finland, I doubt that extends to including Stockholm's Rissne station in the Helsinki Metro.

I do look forward to viewing the unfolding results in ignorant amusement. :)

Since it is Dickens' birthday today (happy birthday Charlie!) I believe that the Chuzzlewit sidestep and Pecksniff lunge are allowed, so will progress to Camden Town. (Home for some time, of course, of Mr Dickens)

Edited by Irene S

Well, Jim, if it helps, we are seeing some nice passing play here making full use of the Dickensian theme which seems to be creeping in. Especially appropriate, since Charles Dickens and Charles Wheatstone (CD and CW) were near contemporaries and in Victorian times frequently corresponded about the Mornington Crescent rankings of their time.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

... Samantha is once again on hand to "big up" (as I believe the youngsters say) everyone's points...

" "

.... My thanks to Samantha for taking me down into the archives and letting me rummage in her drawers until I was completely satified. Hot and sweaty work, and none too pleasant for our Sam I'm sure, but she stuck to the task without complaint until the job was done. As you can well imagine, this was a great relief for me!

" !"

... I'm now in an isolated village in the middle of a forest on the opposite side of Sweden. Besides, while Swedish is the second official language of Finland...

" "

... Samantha is once again on hand to "big up" (as I believe the youngsters say) everyone's points...

" "

.... My thanks to Samantha for taking me down into the archives and letting me rummage in her drawers until I was completely satified. Hot and sweaty work, and none too pleasant for our Sam I'm sure, but she stuck to the task without complaint until the job was done. As you can well imagine, this was a great relief for me!

" !"

... I'm now in an isolated village in the middle of a forest on the opposite side of Sweden. Besides, while Swedish is the second official language of Finland...

" "

I didn't understand it last year so 'ere I go again from Camden

to King's Cross to OlumpicStadion or (you can opt for Stratford OlympicStoreStation overground).

Overground is useful as in these 'ard times and after nicking some wallets en route I commend to you Sleary's tactic to get rid of potential opponents which Samantha may not already have done for:

Sleary, in some haste, communicated the following

hint, apart to Mr. Bounderby.

'I tell you what, Thquire. To thpeak plain to you, my opinion ith

that you had better cut it thort, and drop it. They're a very good

natur'd people, my people, but they're accuthtomed to be quick in

their movementh; and if you don't act upon my advithe, I'm damned

if I don't believe they'll pith you out o' winder.'

Mr. Bounderby being restrained by this mild suggestion, Mr.

Gradgrind found an opening for his eminently practical exposition

of the subject.

'It is of no moment,' said he, 'whether this person is to be

expected back at any time, or the contrary. He is gone away, and

there is no present expectation of his return. That, I believe, is

agreed on all hands.'

And it means there'll be no bodies (for twoud be a naval funeral, pith'd out the winder into Stratford-atte-Bow canal and so no Mo rning (whoooooops.....) Wake, thus avoiding left over armada sherry, weevil-ham sandwiches and Xmas' stale ship's biscuit.

Edited by Kautilya

"

I didn't understand it last year so 'ere I go again from Camden

to King's Cross to OlumpicStadion or (you can opt for Stratford OlympicStoreStation overground).

I think I might cry Foul Play here,as surely that is two or possibly three moves in one ... there must be something in the rules against it ?

There is, the offside rule, which of course states that all moves are offside, except when they're not. This is the rule that prevents players from calling Mornington Crescent first move, if you ever wondered.

So, mate, I must ask you to nominate just one move or risk being in Nap for two moves.

Chris

There is, the offside rule, which of course states that all moves are offside, except when they're not. This is the rule that prevents players from calling Mornington Crescent first move, if you ever wondered.

So, mate, I must ask you to nominate just one move or risk being in Nap for two moves.

Chris

And there was me thinkin' it was a seamless move fused as one by the current frost belt ranging from London to the Northern Continont.

Right, pith King's X and Stratford aht the winder, and head from Camden for OlympicStadion, with an option to use your Telemark skis -- provided you don't slip and end up in the terveskeskus for a week with a plaster (cast) thrown around your head. :ph34r:

Edited by Kautilya

head from Camden for OlympicStadion

Things seem to be a bit sluggish, so I'll to get things moving with a sporting move to

Earls Court

which, if I remember correctly, was where the 1948 Olympics were held.

I'll counter that with a hop-skip-and-jump to Oxford Street.

Edited by SteveS

head from Camden for OlympicStadion

Things seem to be a bit sluggish, so I'll to get things moving with a sporting move to

Earls Court

which, if I remember correctly, was where the 1948 Olympics were held.

I'll counter that with a hop-skip-and-jump to Oxford Street.

(222B) Baker Street Due to the Rush Hour had to give up on the Tube and instead slipped on a pair of Oxford bRogues and slung Moriarty's Durham Palatinate around my neck.... What other way to hotfoot

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=chariots+of+fire+music&docid=1515647403349&mid=D4993844497F9E8DB20CD4993844497F9E8DB20C&FORM=VIRE3it

over to check out What's On -- a peformance of Sherlock and the KGB(FSB) in the story of the Moscow Transmitting Rock

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/1438e7b4-42ab-11e1-97b1-00144feab49a.html

You can see the actors here wearing inconspicuous Breeteesh clotheses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6607249.stm)

Now; the surveillance spies controlling/threatening us with Sam, Ms.....siles, will say one cannot have several moves via stations but this does not apply. The move can be done from any point in the world, including 222b, by heading in and out of the Black Hole at Moscow's Преображенская площадь station (Preobrazhenskaya Ploshchad ). It's elementary my Dear What's On!

well, if u believe Spookypedia -

"In Christian teachings, the Transfiguration is a pivotal moment, and the setting on the mountain is presented as the point where human nature meets God: the meeting place for the temporal and the eternal, with Jesus himself as the connecting point, acting as the bridge between heaven and earth."

I don't know what would be the view of those who use the Crescent as their point of reference:rolleyes:

Edited by Kautilya

Ref, I think K's being silly. I formally request that his 'Move' be struck out forthwith and offer the straight forward GREEN PARK to get the game rolling properly again.

Edited by Dirge

I considered a Slingshot manouevre, but decided in the end that , given the year and the circumstances, the Javelin Concept was more appropriate, Hence, I make the move to Kensington (Olympia), leaving behind the greenery.

Edited by Irene S

I considered a Slingshot manouevre, but decided in the end that , given the year and the circumstances, the Javelin Concept was more appropriate, Hence, I make the move to Kensington (Olympia), leaving behind the greenery.

It might seem blindingly obvious but, Kentish Town.

Andrew