• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 07:15 AM

Lachenal 55 key Maccann duet concertina s/n 892 for sale.

Approximate year of manufacture is 1890. The concertina has a 6 fold bellows, comes with a wooden box which has a Lachenal label in the lid. The serial number is lost from the outside of the concertina but is marked on the inside, please see the last two pictures below.

One strap bar (right hand side) is marked "Trade Mark, English Made" and on the reverse is marked "Patent No. 4752" which is the Maccann patent of 1884.

All keys work in both directions but some reeds need tuning. There is a very slight bellows leak, I can feel it, but otherwise the bellows are in good condition.

If you would like high resolution pictures of any or all aspects of this concertina then please let me know.

Offers around £250 + £20 postage and packing (Royal Mail 24hr tracked service)

Now re-listed on eBay (Buy It Now or Make an Offer) => http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172491850164

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

L892.jpg

jdunn.jpg

Edited by duetconcertina, 18 January 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#2 VIN

VIN

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:12 AM

Can you give me the measurement across t flats please

#3 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

Measurement across the flats = 6 11/16 inches or 17cm

#4 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:07 AM

This concertina is now re-listed on eBay => http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172491850164

Edited by duetconcertina, 18 January 2017 - 08:06 AM.

#5 Dowright

Dowright

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 08:36 AM

You give the year of the Maccann patent as 1848. Undoubtedly, you meant to say "1884. The patent was granted on March 12, 1884.  Most of the 55-key Maccann duets by Lachenal & Co. were New Models or (later) Edeophones. These and the few other 55-key ones usually had metal buttons. Yours with flat wood fretwork and bone buttons is an exception.

Why not open it and see if you can find a serial number in either end? And I would provide an estimated year of manufacture. It would be much appreciated. 

#6 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 12:22 PM

You give the year of the Maccann patent as 1848. Undoubtedly, you meant to say "1884. The patent was granted on March 12, 1884.  Most of the 55-key Maccann duets by Lachenal & Co. were New Models or (later) Edeophones. These and the few other 55-key ones usually had metal buttons. Yours with flat wood fretwork and bone buttons is an exception.

Why not open it and see if you can find a serial number in either end? And I would provide an estimated year of manufacture. It would be much appreciated. 

Thank you for the information. yes, the patent date was a silly typo on my part. You are correct in your assumption that I had googled it.

I may find time to have a look for the serial number on Monday. If I do and I find anything I will let you know.

Thanks again.

#7 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

Thank you for the information. yes, the patent date was a silly typo on my part. You are correct in your assumption that I had googled it.

I may find time to have a look for the serial number on Monday. If I do and I find anything I will let you know.

Thanks again.

OK, have now taken off both ends. Nothing to be seen in one end but in the other a signature in pencil that reads "J Dunn" and above that between the pads and the edge is stamped "L892". No serial number in evidence.

Are there any clues here? (Pictures below)

jdunn.jpg

L892.jpg

#8 Dowright

Dowright

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 08:31 AM

Thanks.

892 is the serial number. And it is a fairly early one.

I estimate that it was made in about 1890.

#9 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 09:11 AM

Thanks.

892 is the serial number. And it is a fairly early one.

I estimate that it was made in about 1890.

Thanks for that. This is the first concertina I have seen with a 3 digit serial number!

#10 Dowright

Dowright

Chatty concertinist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:20 PM

I have come across several Lachenal duets with 2-digit or 3-digit serial numbers:

Maccann duets with 2-digit numbers = 8 concertinas. (Lowest number = 16)

Maccann duets with 3-digit serial numbers = 54 concertinas.

Crane duets with 2-digit numbers = 5 concertinas. (Lowest number = 10)

Crane duets with 3-digit number = 62 concertinas.

I have never seen a single-digit one, but presumably the numbering for Maccann and Crane duets each started at No. 1. The very earliest Maccann duets appear to have been marketed by William H. Maccann, John Hill Maccann's brother located in Plymouth, and E. Rushworth in Liverpool.

Given that there were separate sets of serial numbers for Maccann and Crane duets until their series were joined in about 1910, it would be expected that Maccann and Crane duets with identical serial numbers would appear. And they do. I have information for both a Maccann duet and a Crane duet for numbers 217, 399, 441, 498, and 867, respectively.

The early Lachenal Anglo concertinas also had separate numbering; I have information for No. 782 for both a Maccann duet and an early Anglo (sold to Wheatstone in 1864). However, toward the end of Lachenal & Co.'s existence, a few Anglos (New Models) were included in the joint Maccann-Crane serial numbering. . . . But that is another story.

#11 duetconcertina

duetconcertina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

Now re-listed on eBay as Buy It Now / Offers => http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172491850164

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lachenal, duet, maccann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users