Bandoneons

Walking across campus yesterday I noticed a flyier posted by a tango singer, who was looking for a bassist, a cello player, and a bandoneon player to start the first tango orchestra in georgia. I thought that was really neat. Seeing that, though, brought up some questions I have. A bandoneon is a big, square concertina. Beyond that, I have no idea what is. I tried searching around on the internet about them, which didn't help much. From the information I got, I couldn't even tell if it's bisonoric or unisonoric. It sounded like the instrument is more chord oriented on the left hand, so is it like a duet? What makes them unique, besides their size and shape? Are they still made? Where?

thanks

Patrick

PATRICK: there's a very good bandoneon site run by a fellow in switzerland ( i think) named Christian Mensing. . . . . . .if you can handle the german, there are two studies by a woman named Maria Dunkel. . . . . . .and obviously, over and above any reading that you might do, listen to Astor Piazzolla, truly one of the finest musicians of the 20th century...............allan

Patrick, I don't know why you had trouble with your internet search. When I did a simple Google search I found so much information that I couldn't begin to report it here (partly because I didn't save the links). Well, maybe that was your trouble.

I found half a dozen different keyboard layouts, only one of which is unisonoric, the others clearly not (showing the different notes for push and pull). More than one comprehensive site, with good historical/evolutionary information. For the music side, try searching on the combination of bandoneon and tango. And try also the alternative spelling "bandonion".

Here is a link to one builder:

http://www.inart.de/gutjahr/

A master builder of bandoneons, and an excellent musician, as well. I met him in 1982 (through a friend who played English concertina), and I have a fantastic casette of him playing baroque music, including Bach organ music, on the bandoneon. At the time he was just beginning his study of tango music.

The bandoneon, by the way, is originally a German instrument, but became the instrument of choice for tango music in Argentina.