Buying First Concertina...help!

It might be an okay one to start out with. But, if someone bids it up higher than $200, then would you be interested a Riccordi (Bastari) 30-button Anglo in C/G?

The instrument in the image Alex has posted is the exact model I learnt on - it was certainly enough for me to get my teeth into while I decided whether or not I liked the concertina enough as an instrument to carry on with it.

It was a good workable instrument (well, still is as far as I know - I part-exchanged it :D )

Stuart

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The concertina in the picture Alex Jones displayed is identical to the C/G Hohner I have been playing for the last 4 years. It is my first concertina. It's getting worn now and I hope it lasts until I can afford something else. My understanding is that more expensive instruments last longer.

It has been a very good instrument to learn on, and I can play to a good standard on it. I don't regret buying it, but I really wish there wasn't such a jump in price from my Hohner to the better stuff. Had known at the outset that decent concertinas are expensive I would have spent my money on a melodeon and spent the last few years learning that instead.

What I meant to get across was that if you are intent on starting to learn the concertina you need to appreciate that you are likely to end up committing yourself to spending a lot more money in the future. If you enjoy it you will eventually become dissatisfied with the cheap stuff (or find it gets worn out) and end up look for something more up-market.

What I meant to get across was that if you are intent on starting to learn the concertina you need to appreciate that you are likely to end up committing yourself to spending a lot more money in the future. If you enjoy it you will eventually become dissatisfied with the cheap stuff (or find it gets worn out) and end up look for something more up-market.

Agreed. I would never suggest that it's a reason not to learn though.

• 2 weeks later...

To Those Who Helped Me In My Search:

Thank you. I made my decision and was about to lay down the money for a Jackie. Unfortunately, a woman came through a red light and hit me and my car last week and ended any chance I had of purchasing a concertina in the near future. It has been a very trying time, both physically and financially as I was injured in the accident.

Thank all of you very much for your help.

Marty