Wanted: Portable Harmonium

SteveS

Maybe not a concertina, but it is a free-reed instrument....

Anyway I'm looking for a portable harmonium - the sort that folds up into its own box for transport.

The type that was often used in mission halls.

Condition isn't too important since I'll be restoring it - but it must be complete.

Any ideas - please let me know.

Thanks, Steve

Edited by SteveS

Maybe not a concertina, but it is a free-reed instrument....

Anyway I'm looking for a portable harmonium - the sort that folds up into its own box for transport.

The type that was often used in mission halls.

Condition isn't too important since I'll be restoring it - but it must be complete.

Any ideas - please let me know.

Thanks, Steve

Hi Steve

I bought an Estey & Co portable pump reed organ, last year, similar to the one pictured at the bottom (type 2) in these photos. It requires some restoration. One of the two pairs of bellows doesn't work, for a start. I have been thinking about looking for someone to restore it for me, as I think it is bit beyond my capabilities. I don't have any plans to sell it right now, though. I'd like to get it playable first and then see how I get on with it. I bought it from someone in Kent who sells a variety of musical instruments, via the internet, though where they first obtained it from I don't know. You could try looking on Ebay, if you haven't already done so.

Chris

Hi Steve

I bought an Estey & Co portable pump reed organ, last year, similar to the one pictured at the bottom (type 2) in these photos. It requires some restoration. One of the two pairs of bellows doesn't work, for a start. I have been thinking about looking for someone to restore it for me, as I think it is bit beyond my capabilities. I don't have any plans to sell it right now, though. I'd like to get it playable first and then see how I get on with it. I bought it from someone in Kent who sells a variety of musical instruments, via the internet, though where they first obtained it from I don't know. You could try looking on Ebay, if you haven't already done so.

Chris

Chris

This type of harmonium looks great - more or less what I had in mind.

I'll keep an eye on eBay too.

Steve

mccabe's guitar shop in santa monica, california, USA does not limit its stock to guitars, and actually often has harmoniums in stock.....i went through a flurry of a phase of wanting one, but cooled on the idea when the one-handed aspect of it really hit me....they are great, though....

Ceemonster, are you thinking of the smaller type of harmonium with the bellows on the back? Often found very cheap in India? These guys are talking something else, follow the link...

I recently repaired an Indian harmonium, was made at the level of a German concertina except for the reeds which were truly terrible.

Chris

I'm looking for a portable harmonium - the sort that folds up into its own box for transport.

I bought an Estey & Co portable pump reed organ, last year, similar to the one pictured at the bottom (type 2) in these photos.

My own is like the type 1 (upper) in those photos. It also needs a bit of work (mainly the bellows), but it's also not for sale.

Also, it's in Denmark, so transport costs would likely be prohibitive even if it were for sale. Though described as "portable", it won't fit in the overhead on an airplane. :(

There is one on ebay now, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300657375702

Not there now!

Maybe too small but if you want real portable playability (one handed of course) with no repair work/bills you could check around Southall/Leicester. These are the standard workhorses for Indian musicians who do concerts,betrothals, weddings, ghazal evenings etc

http://www.jas-musicals.com/sectrad/Harmonium-cases.asp

Leicester

http://www.sonarupa.co.uk/default_inner.asp?pflag=instrument&curr=0

Someone

here's one prepared earlier

brings his to The George Inn occasionally. :)

Edited by Kautilya

yes, i guess i am thinking of the indian "workhorse" type. have a couple of cds of indian harmonium music and love them. that is one of the factors that has inspired my interest in unisonoric concertina, actually---how much fun it might be to play some of that stuff on EC or duet....

though come to think of it the one i saw allen ginsberg playing during a glorious two-night pair of concerts i was lucky enough to attend late in his life in which he surveyed his work, was not the one-handed kind....

If an Indian Hrmonium you need to decide if you want C# drone or C natural. In India they use the #'s

I thought that in this post Steve made it clear that the shruti box was not the kind of "harmonium" he's looking for. He wants a folding-into-itself portable reed organ with a piano style keyboard. (And he'll correct me if I'm wrong. :))

If an Indian Hrmonium you need to decide if you want C# drone or C natural. In India they use the #'s

I thought that in this post Steve made it clear that the shruti box was not the kind of "harmonium" he's looking for. He wants a folding-into-itself portable reed organ with a piano style keyboard. (And he'll correct me if I'm wrong. :))

Jim - you are correct.

2 handed harmonium (pump or reed organ I believe to our US friends), foot-powered bellows, folding into itself box for transport, piano style keyboard - probably made in England or France (definitely not an Indian harmonium) - the type used in mission halls for hymns and worship.

2 handed harmonium (pump or reed organ I believe to our US friends), foot-powered bellows, folding into itself box for transport, piano style keyboard - probably made in England or France ... the type used in mission halls for hymns and worship.

Well, mine and (I believe) Bob's were made in the US. (I brought mine with me to Denmark when I moved.)

But we also have long had Sally Army missions in the US, as well as travelling preacher-songleaders of various other denominations.