Unusual Anglo In U.k. Auction 10Th December

Pikeyh

For those of us unititiated EC/duet players, is this some sort of bass or baritone-bass Anglo?

Being transposing instruments, with an Anglo you can't tell what key it's in, or what range it has, until you play it. But probably.

Also, it's not at all unusual for Anglos to be retuned to another key altogether, sometimes drastically (though that may involve re-reeding too) - so that the raised-ended concertina of a certain West Clare player (that I've worked on) is in one of Wheatsone's larger "Tenor" bodies, originally used for instruments lower than G/D, with the reedplates stamped for low E/B, but it was already in regular C/G tuning when he got it... :blink:

Do you find ones that are in a common key but an octave lower than usual?

Yes, and I've even worked on two now (a Wheatstone and a Jeffries) that have been tuned a whole octave down from when they were made, by adding solder to the tips of the reeds.

You can also find piccolo Anglos that are tuned an octave higher than normal, but they're very rare.

When Cormac, Jack Talty and Noel Hill play as the Concertina trio, they already have a bass anglo exactly like this one in the multi instrument line up....... and it absorbs a lot of physical effort to play!

If anyone would like to see Cormac, with his range of concertinas, in different keys and octaves, he's starting a tour of Ireland within the coming days - details at: http://www.irishmusic.net/CC/

I rang the auctioneers, and as far as I can tell over the phone, it's a baritone in C/G. I was tempted, but looking at the better pics they sent me, I thought better of it. It looks like the ends have been replaced at some stage (which is quite unusual with raised ends), but I think you'll agree that the fretwork has a crude and clumsy air about it. The bellows also have a lot of patched corners - re-binding might be enough, but if new bellows are required, the stretched hex shape makes it a bit of an A-level project!

Edited by david robertson

I rang the auctioneers, and as far as I can tell over the phone, it's a baritone in C/G. I was tempted, but looking at the better pics they sent me, I thought better of it. It looks like the ends have been replaced at some stage (which is quite unusual with raised ends), but I think you'll agree that the fretwork has a crude and clumsy air about it. The bellows also have a lot of patched corners - re-binding might be enough, but new bellows are required, the stretched hex shape makes it a bit of an A-level project!

In fact it sounds about as puzzling and confusing (and both with what appear to be crude new ends) as the last large "stretched hexagon" Lachenal that turned up in auction, at Malvern a few weeks ago:

Maccann Duet Bass At Auction

and

Recent Duet At Auction

Mind you, I did once have what should have been a fabulous Edeophone English-system bass, only some idiot had tuned it way up into the baritone range, and destroyed the reeds... :angry:

• Sad 1