Civil War Free Reed Instruments

AndyG

Greetings,

I am a musician, and a Civil War reenactor. I would like to play a free reed instrument (Accordion, Flutina, Concertina) at CW reenactments, and living history demos. I have spent considerable time trying to research what would be the most commonly played FR instrument by the soldiers in camp, with little success. Mr Rich Morse of buttonbox suggested posting here. He remembers that there were several articles in the concertina & squeezebox mag on CW accordions (1 row/10 button) with pictures. Does anyone in this forum know if the old C&S Magazines are online (electronically) anywhere? Does anyone have a full set that they might look through them for me? Is there anywhere where I could look through a set, or purchase a set? Is there additional information on Civil War Accordion, Flutina, concertina which you could give me? Any and all information is very greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

God bless you

Andy

Andy,

Geo Salley is a frequent visitor here, and he certainly has a full run of C&S, as he was one of the editors for the first part of its history. It is not online, nor I believe can you buy them except the odd issue at auction, etc. But Geo could check for you.

Your user profile doesn't say where you live, though I presume a Civil War reenactor is in the U.S. somewhere (or is it some other civil war that you reenact? Remember, we have a world wide community here). The Chicago Public Library has a nearly full set of C&S (downtown at the Harold Washington branch).

Ken

I am a musician, and a Civil War reenactor. I would like to play a free reed instrument (Accordion, Flutina, Concertina) at CW reenactments, and living history demos. I have spent considerable time trying to research what would be the most commonly played FR instrument by the soldiers in camp,

I cannot offer any real advice. I am only posting to state what is probably an obvious warning: do not rely on scenes in films. Recently i saw again the Good the Bad and The Ugly. This has a scene in a camp for confederate prisoners of war, where there is a small band of musicians. One of them appears to be playing an anglo concertina, though there is not a close up view. The actor is obviously just pulling and pushing without really playing the instrument. i am sure there are a lot of similar instances.

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild