The Lewes Favourites

Chris Timson

At Chippenham Folk Festival just gone I met up with a couple of concertina-playing friends from Lewes in Sussex in the shape of Valmai Goodyear and Bryan Creer, who were peddling a new tune book called The Lewes Favourites which they had been involved in. So I bought a copy.

Billed as "180 of the tunes played in and around Lewes" it seems to me the best book yet to present a representative set of the tunes played in English sessions. It's nicely put together, and as a bonus has in one part a set of short articles about the ancient and honourable sport of dwyle flonking (spelt flunking in the book, for some reason). The book cost 10 quid and profits go to the Lewes Arms Folk Club.

There's no contact details in the book but I found a web page about it here. I can thoroughly recommend it.

Chris

a new tune book called The Lewes Favourites

I received a copy not long ago as a gift.

It's a wonderful gift, and I also recommend it highly.

Warning: The tunes are given without chords.

I think this is good. I believe that anyone playing chords -- or harmony -- should understand what they're doing and how it fits with the music, not just parrot what someone else has prescribed. (A parrot playing a concertina... or guitar? Seems awkward. Maybe I should have said "ape"? ;) )

Anyway, if you're the sort who depends on written-in chords, you'll have to write them in yourself.

...... Enjoy!

If you are a cheap skate like me the tunes are available as either ABC or noteworthy files from the Lewes Arms Folk Club site here. Must support Chris and Jim in their praise of this selection. Also the guys at the club organise very good workshops see here.

Edited by Lester Bailey

Valmai & Brian are also the mainstay of Concertinas Anonymous which is a fantastic informal support group for all of us with a serious concertina habit to support.

Next meeting Monday 7th June 8pm Lewes Arms in Lewes, East Sussex (English South Coast).

I went along for the first time last month and had a great time. We had 3 English, 1 Anglo, 1 Duet, 1 Dulcet Anglo (not really a concertina - it's a melodeon inside). 5 players in total.

Maybe see some of you there next week if you are not too far away?