Tune Of The Month, March 2015: Jamaica Farewell

Jim Besser

Anyway, as I said, semi-improvised and in the key of Eb: Jamaica Farewell,

Three flats. Respect!

Really not much harder than playing with no flats or sharps. Like arithmetic, what makes it hard for many folks is that they put a lot of effort into avoiding learning it, because they're convinced in advance (that's pre-judice) that it's "hard".

By the way, my recording of "Maid of the Sweet Brown Knowe" in the Theme of the Month thread is also in Eb. That's the key it was written in in the book I got it from. Rather than go through all sorts of contortions to transpose it into a "more convenient" key, I just learned it as written, then added a sparse few harmony notes here and there.

Edited by JimLucas

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, as I said, semi-improvised and in the key of Eb: Jamaica Farewell,

Three flats. Respect!

Really not much harder than playing with no flats or sharps. Like arithmetic, what makes it hard for many folks is that they put a lot of effort into avoiding learning it, because they're convinced in advance (that's pre-judice) that it's "hard".

By the way, my recording of "Maid of the Sweet Brown Knowe" in the Theme of the Month thread is also in Eb. That's the key it was written in in the book I got it from. Rather than go through all sorts of contortions to transpose it into a "more convenient" key, I just learned it as written, then added a sparse few harmony notes here and there.

Edited to correct a typo.

Three flats. Respect!

Edited to correct a typo.

I'm sure you're right. I'm quite comfortable in, say, G aeolian with two flats but shy away from keys where the tonic is not a natural - silly really. I suppose when 90% of what you play is in folky "fiddle keys", with sharps, a bunch of flats is daunting. I should overcome my pre-judice, bite the bullet and give it a try.

Hello everyone, though I did not participate for quite a while I enjoyed your your playing a lot.

Here is a rough version of Jamaica Farewell, played through my One-Man-Band setup. It´s played live in one go (no overdubs) and I used beatboxing and looping for the rythm, guitar-effects and my selfmade stompbox (makes bumm-tschak).

https://soundcloud.com/squeezer-stefan/jamaika-farewell

Hello everyone, though I did not participate for quite a while I enjoyed your your playing a lot.

Here is a rough version of Jamaica Farewell, played through my One-Man-Band setup. It´s played live in one go (no overdubs) and I used beatboxing and looping for the rythm, guitar-effects and my selfmade stompbox (makes bumm-tschak).

Cool!

As a singer myself, I love to hear others' interpretations of songs, and we have a good variety already this month. But so far, I believe Jim B. is the only one to post an instrumental-only version. How about the rest of you non- or seldom-singers?

Very cool!

Here is my instrumental version. Some glitches in middle. This was a fun song to do. I tried to get a calypso type of rhythm using my left hand.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=h69WADgeWDI

Not working for me. Wants me to log in, I'm guessing to your Google account. (Note the word "edit" in the web address. I don't want to edit; I only want to view/listen.)

I think you need to check and correct the link address. I'm looking forward to when it works.

Here is my instrumental version. Some glitches in middle. This was a fun song to do. I tried to get a calypso type of rhythm using my left hand.

Not working for me. Wants me to log in, I'm guessing to your Google account. (Note the word "edit" in the web address. I don't want to edit; I only want to view/listen.)

I think you need to check and correct the link address. I'm looking forward to when it works.

OK, will you check it now? I reloaded it a different way

OK, will you check it now? I reloaded it a different way

Yep. The link works just fine now.

Fine playing, too. :)

OK, here's a taste of my Jamaica Farewell.

https://soundcloud.com/jodysconcertina/jamaica-farewell

I love the TOTM challenge. Without it, I would not have considered this fine song for reasons mentioned above. It was way over played, but that was 50 years ago. Time for a new look.

excellent! I need to work the bass lines into my own playing of this tune.

Oh no! This thread almost passed me by. Did notice it at the beginning of the month but then forgot, busy times. And it's exactly what I'm most enthusiastic about, doing stuff, particularly songs, that aren't normally done with the concer.

I've enjoyed all the offerings here, especially the sung versions, thanks all. Stefan, when's the CD coming out mate?

I'm still very busy with work and preparing for the National Folk Festival at Easter here in Oz so not sure if can get a contribution up before then. We'll see. Agree it's a great enduring song, perhaps because of it's calypso beat and exoctic lyrics.