Trouble With Abc2Win On Converta-O-Matic

Has anyone successfully converted an ABC2WIN file on the Convert-o-matic?

I got a message saying there is probably a problem with the source, but I have no idea what the problem might be. My file works fine in the ABC2WIN program.

Anyone encounter this and know what the problem might be? Here's the file, if it helps:

T: See You All an Saturday
C: Dottie Beck
M: 3/4
L: 1/8
R: Waltz
FG | A2 d2 AG | FD D2 EF | G3B GF | E4 EF |
c3c dB| A2 E2 cB | A4 BG |F4 FG |
A2 d2 fe | d2 A2 ef | g3g fe | B4 ef |
g2 g2 ag | f2 A2 ef | g3e ce | d4 ||
FA | f2 f2 fe | ed d2 ef | g3g fe | B3A ce|
a3b aa | Ac ea Ac | eg Ac gf-|f4
FA | f3f fe | ed d2 ef | g3g fe | B4 ef |
g2 g2 ag | (3fac' d'2 ef | g3e ce | d4||
W: Dedicated to Bob Farrall April 2014

Dottie B

This should do it:

X:1

T: See You All an Saturday

C: Dottie Beck

M: 3/4

L: 1/8

R: Waltz

FG | A2 d2 AG | FD D2 EF | G3B GF | E4 EF |

c3c dB| A2 E2 cB | A4 BG |F4 FG |

A2 d2 fe | d2 A2 ef | g3g fe | B4 ef |

g2 g2 ag | f2 A2 ef | g3e ce | d4 ||

FA | f2 f2 fe | ed d2 ef | g3g fe | B3A ce|

a3b aa | Ac ea Ac | eg Ac gf-|f4

FA | f3f fe | ed d2 ef | g3g fe | B4 ef |

g2 g2 ag | (3fac' d'2 ef | g3e ce | d4||

Best wishes - Wolf

It's not legit ABC unless you have a K: line at the end of the header.

ABC2WIN is very old and its author always ignored the standards everybody else used for ABC. There are lots of better alternatives.

I would set the tune out like this (I like aligning parallel phrases):

X:1
T:See You All on Saturday
C:Dottie Beck
M:3/4
L:1/8
K:D
 FG|A2 d2 AG|  FD   D2  EF|G3  B GF |E4 \
 EF|c3  c dB|  A2   E2  cB|A4    BG |F4
 FG|A2 d2 fe|  d2   A2  ef|g3  g fe |B4 \
 ef|g2 g2 ag|  f2   A2  ef|g3  e ce |d4||
 FA|f2 f2 fe|  ed   d2  ef|g3  g fe |B3 \
Ace|a3  b aa|  Ac   ea  Ac|eg Ac gf-|f4
 FA|f3  f fe|  ed   d2  ef|g3  g fe |B4 \
 ef|g2 g2 ag|(3fac' d'2 ef|g3  e ce |d4|]

Image attached as generated by abcm2ps.

post-3250-0-61739700-1396953163_thumb.png

Edited by Jack Campin

Thanks! That does work! K at the end. I would never have guessed!

What ABC notation programs would you recommend? I'll take both Windows and Apple suggestions.

And has anyone found a good ABC notation app for the iPad?

Dottie B

P.S. The "an" in the title was actually intentional! Our dance caller gave us a play list, and at the end said, "See you all an Saturday," obviously a typo. Reading down the list, it was almost like seeing another tune title. So I decided to write the tune, keeping his typo in the title. :)

I use BarFly for the Mac (doesn't work on Lion or more recent OSes), which can export through abcm2ps for better-quality staff notation output - that's how I got the staff notation file I uploaded there. abcm2ps is multi-platform. I use the converter on mandolintab.net when I want to hear "guitar" chords (BarFly makes a pig's breakfast of those).

The best sound output from ABC I've ever heard was from ABCMus, a Windows-only program. But I don't have anything that can run it.

Edited by Jack Campin

I'm using EasyABC on Mac (Lion) too. There are a couple of niggling problems with the MIDI output: it sometimes skips the first note of the tune (adding a single rest before the first bar works around this), and the output volume is really low. I keep meaning to dive into the Python source code to try to fix it.

I'm using EasyABC on Mac (Lion) too. There are a couple of niggling problems with the MIDI output: it sometimes skips the first note of the tune (adding a single rest before the first bar works around this), and the output volume is really low. I keep meaning to dive into the Python source code to try to fix it.

The MIDI output is actually correct. If you save the file and then play it back in quicktime (2 times) the file plays correctly the second time. I've never been able to figure out why the playback starts wrong. I think though it has been fixed in code not yet publicly available. If you actually dig into the source code though you might want to contact Seymour Schlein (go to the abc2MIDI page and follow that to the newer versions of the code). Seymour, and another person and I are updating and enhancing EasyABC. Sources are at Seymour's site, but compiled versions are not yet available. Folks interested can drop me a PM and I'll be happy to pass on some of the additions/corrections in process. Please don't ask for running versions yet though. We'd like to get things right before we make anything available.

The program runs on Linux, Windows and Mac platforms, and has lots of very useful things in it. Since it wraps around abcm2ps and abc2MIDI you get output that is pretty much the standard for ABC output. And, the program allows you to attach updated versions of those programs so you can keep up with all the bug fixes and changes as needed.

Edited by cboody

The best sound that I have got from ABC is from a non-ABC program: Musescore with the Fluid sound font installed.

Musescore has an ABC import plugin that works well. I use EasyABC to create and manage ABC files and then just cut and paste the ABC text from EasyABC into the plugin's window. I like EasyABC a lot, but I can hardly stand how it sounds when played through the default sound fonts on Windows. I have tried to figure out how to change the sound fonts in Windows but have not had any real success.

Musescore is an open source music notation program that is available on Windows, Mac and Linux.

Okay, looks like I could use the Tunebook Edit function to compose on the app!

Tunebook and The Craic allow you to edit abc on either iPad or iPhone. I prefer Tunebook because it keeps all of the abc files as separate tunebooks and has a page white background whereas The Craic throws all of the abc files in together and has a dirty grey sort of background colour that is really quite hard to read off if the lighting in the room is a bit poor.

Tunebook is a pig to use as an editor because it uses a variably-spaced font. All my ABC depends on fixed width so I can align parallel phrases properly.

It also has no concept of a file containing textual material as well as tunes, which makes it unusable for my modes tutorial and loses important meta-information for all my large collections.

I can't recall what I paid for it but it was a waste of money, except as a learning experience to find out how bad ABC on the iPhone is.