Tune Of The Month, May 2015: Da Slockit Light

Jim Besser

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One hour later. I played along with Jim's in G version and found the tune is all there on the right hand. It would have been easier if I'd transposed it. Many, many takes later, with same G/D, Wheatstone layout:

https://soundcloud.com/gcolli/da-slockit-light-in-g-on-g-d

Sorry, Graham, but I much prefer your earlier version in D. G is too squeaky, for one thing.

Chris

Playing around with the tune a little. On the G/D Anglo, the only alternative to D is to play it in G - with most of the melody in the A part on the left side. Still looking for the chording I want. Sorta cool, but I don't think it really works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/C.net%20Tune%20of%20the%20Month/Slocket_low_Besser.MP3

Played in G on a Jeffries 30 button G/D Anglo.

Don't seem to be able to open or download the file, Jim.

Playing around with the tune a little. On the G/D Anglo, the only alternative to D is to play it in G - with most of the melody in the A part on the left side. Still looking for the chording I want. Sorta cool, but I don't think it really works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/C.net%20Tune%20of%20the%20Month/Slocket_low_Besser.MP3

Don't seem to be able to open or download the file, Jim.

Not sure why - the link is opening fine on this end.

I'll try uploading it to Soundcloud later.

Jim, it should be possible to play it while keeping the melody entirely on the right hand in G on a G/D, although it'll involve a fair amount of playing across the rows. I'm guessing that your instrument doesn't have a high C - but if you double some of the other high notes an octave lower you bring about a kind of trompe l'oreille, and no-one will miss that top C. If I get chance tonight I'll demonstrate what I mean.

Jim, it should be possible to play it while keeping the melody entirely on the right hand in G on a G/D, although it'll involve a fair amount of playing across the rows. I'm guessing that your instrument doesn't have a high C - but if you double some of the other high notes an octave lower you bring about a kind of trompe l'oreille, and no-one will miss that top C. If I get chance tonight I'll demonstrate what I mean.

You're right, but it's awkward and involves successive notes played with the right pinkie, at least on a Jeffries system Anglo. Still, I should give it a go because it offers some nice options for chording and runs. Just being lazy.

Right you are. Here's the tune in G on the G/D, melody on the right hand, and a different approach to the left. I sorta like it, even if the fingering is awkward in the B part. Gives it a very different sound.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68325595/C.net%20Tune%20of%20the%20Month/Slockit_highG_besser.MP3

Played on a 30 button Jeffries G/D Anglo.

I was being lazy not trying it; Stuart, thanks for nudging me.

Coming back to my own take of this present TOTM and having had it developed, I started more or less with the dots...

Wolf:

Thanks very much for this. I don't have any specific technical comments or questions as there is a lot to digest and to learn from your rendition and the accompanying notes.

I do like the fiddle sound that you achieved in the first part.

As far as 'snappy' is concerned - I thought that the tempo was just fine, but somehow the tune sounded happy, especially towards the end. Nothing wrong with that but it does not lament in the way that Tom Anderson or Alasdair Fraser play it.

Don.

A forum member asked me to do a solo version, without the distraction of overdubbed instruments. Happy to oblige:

http://youtu.be/V_JgWBhmVuM

Bob Michel

Near Philly

Bob:

Thanks for this, this slow, careful version with the camera focussed on your left hand is very instructive.

The multi-instrument version was really good. Thanks for doing both.

Don.

Coming back to my own take of this present TOTM and having had it developed, I started more or less with the dots...

Wolf:

Thanks very much for this. I don't have any specific technical comments or questions as there is a lot to digest and to learn from your rendition and the accompanying notes.

I do like the fiddle sound that you achieved in the first part.

As far as 'snappy' is concerned - I thought that the tempo was just fine, but somehow the tune sounded happy, especially towards the end. Nothing wrong with that but it does not lament in the way that Tom Anderson or Alasdair Fraser play it.

Don.

Don, thanks a lot for your feedback, which is much appreciated. I must confess that on the one hand I'm more contented with my take here than usual but OTOH was and am feeling that it still doesn't do full justice to the tune in some respect.

You're giving me valuable hints as to what to keep and what to change... This morning I found half an hour spare time to slightly shift the feel of my arrangement in the desired direction...

Will keep you and anyone insterested updated with a second take which will hopefully be recorded soon.

Best wishes - Wolf

So here is my second take - an improvement (at the cost of some minor mistakes as yet) as I hope:

Da Slockit Light (2nd version)

Thanks a lot for the feedback once again, Jim and Don, which was very helpful for further developing my approach!

Best wishes - Wolf

(edited just typo)

Edited by blue eyed sailor

So here is my second take - an improvement (at the cost of some minor mistakes as yet) as I hope:

Thanks a lot for the feedback once again, Jim and Don, which was very helpful for further developing my approach!

Best wishes - Wolf

(edited just typo)

Major improvement, Wolf! :) Let the melody shine through.

Chris

Best wishes - Wolf

(edited just typo)

Oh yes, much improved, much more of a lament feel to it. The tempo is great and the sad quality comes through.

Did I hear you getting a sort of bounced bow effect in places?

Once you have a final version then please post an analysis,

Thanks,

Don.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Chris and Don - I'm very glad with seeming to be on the "right" way...

Don, I'm sometimes trying to apply such a "bounced bow effect", not always succsessfull however...

Best wishes - Wolf

Here's some notation to get you started...

Actually, that looks like a harmony ("2nd fiddle") line. But other examples of notation for the tune have been posted since.

Here's my take. As always (or almost always), on my 46-key Wheatstone Hayden.

For the first few measures of the B section, I use the "Pachelbel Canon" chords: D-A-Bmin-F#min. Then, of course comes the "secondary dominant" that you can't miss this time because the G# is in the melody (see my notes on the previous TOTM, Harliquin Air).

[Edited for typo]

Edited by David Barnert