Jody Kruskal Performs In Annapolis, Md, May 17-18

The Annapolis Traditional Dance Society is pleased to announce two performances by noted Anglo concertina player Jody Kruskal (who frequents this forum) and his musical comrade, fiddler Paul Friedman.

Jody is a remarkable player - it is probably fair to call him virtuosic - who has expanded the horizons of his performances on the Anglo to many styles of music. He has won particular acclaim for his use of the concertina in old-time American music - blues, ragtime, traditional country music, Tin Pan Alley songs and more. A sweet-voiced singer with an engaging character, he draws his audience into his songs. He’s also a noted composer of music for folk dancing and theater.

Paul Friedman is a veteran New York fiddler. I would like to say more about Paul, but perhaps I will just refer to him as a man of mystery?

Paul & Jody will perform in a 333 Coffeehouse concert on Friday, May 17 at 7:30 PM. They will perform music from their 2010 CD, Paul & Jody, and from Jody's new CD, the sublimely titled "Sing To Me, Concertina Boy." Or, at least, that's what we presume they will perform. We haven't seen the set list, and we're ready to be surprised. :)

333 is a listener-centered, volunteer-powered event. Inexpensive snacks, desserts, beverages and pizza are served. For more information, see fsgw.org/333, write to 333coffeehouse@gmail.com, or call +1 (443)-333-9613.

Paul and Jody will be joined by pianist Marc Glickman to provide music for the Annapolis Contra Dance on Saturday, May 18 at 7 PM. The dances will be called by Greg Frock. For details see contradancers.com/atds, or write to annapolis.contra.dance@gmail.com.

Both events take place at Annapolis Friends Meeting, 351 DuBois Road in Annapolis (21401).

Admission to each event is $10, or $8 for students, seniors 65+, and members of ATDS and affiliated groups (including FSGW, BFMS and CDSS).

Thanks for reading... I'll do my best to follow up here as needed.

Tom Rhoads

333 Coffeehouse/ATDS

They will perform music from their 2010 CD, Paul & Jody, and from Jody's new CD, the sublimely titled "Sing To Me, Concertina Boy." Or, at least, that's what we presume they will perform.

Both CDs are truly great in their own respects. Perhaps I like the joint work even more...

I have heard Jody in the course of his 2012 tour performing

, on his own and would be happy if I were able to add a Paul & Jody appearance.

Highly recommended!

Edited by blue eyed sailor

Jody needs no boosting on this site, but I'd put in a word for the coffee house venue, a modern Friends meetinghouse, easy to get to from major roads in the area, an intimate room, and excellent sound. Comfortable seating, too. My wife and I will be there.

Edited by Mike Franch

I'm planning on being there Friday. Unfortunately have plans Saturday night. Been a while since I've been to the coffeehouse even though I live in SP like Tom, as it turns out. I could bring my Carroll if anyone wants to check it out.

Howard