School Gig

A chance remark to a music teacher at a school I was visiting has resulted in me giving a talk

on the concertina next month (December)to the whole school in two sessions.

I will let you know how I get on.

Why not offer your services to your local school ? Many children have never seen a concertina and will appreciate you going along. I hope to get them singing some Carols with me to finish the talk.

Al

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope to get them singing some Carols with me to finish the talk.

Al

Al, lucky fellow you don't live in the politically correct New England area. Were I to even entertain leading a group of children in a few Christmas Carols outside of our wonderful "backward" Milford, I would be shone the door. :angry: In fact a few folks here at my college have questioned the wisdom of playing Victorian era carols on my concertina before the traditional reading of Dicken's A Christmas Carol. "Holiday Tree"... indeed! "Holiday Songs"...indeed! Bah, Humbug!

The children will be thrilled Al. Maybe a friend could go along with a mini cam and tape the session?

Edited by Mark Evans

Alan,

I have had some great experiences playing to "older" peoples groups. Good performance experience for me, a couple of hours entertainment for them and lots interesting discussions about concertinas and the last time they saw one etc.

At the last one after I mentioned that Charles Wheatsone is credited with the invention, I had a great chat with this chap who was about 89, a former signal operator in the Royal Navy, all about the "Wheatstone Bridge" and how it had made radio (and TV) possible. He was so enthusiastic for life, he was a joy to talk to.

It is definitely a good idea to share your passion, and people outside of "folk" circles seem to be genuinely fascinated in our shiny and black boxes!

all the best,

Peter

Mark

There is a fantastic song which is sung during the Sheffield Carols season called "Kris Kringle". I believe it is American in origin and it is such a bright and cheery song no one could object to that. I can send you the words if you like but can't send the tune or a recording.

Peter

There is a fantastic song which is sung during the Sheffield Carols season called "Kris Kringle". I believe it is American in origin and it is such a bright and cheery song no one could object to that.
Peter, I would love that! Please send me the words. I'll hunt up the music or a recording.

Mark, it's been used in the Victorian version of The Christmas Revels (at least the year we did the Victorian theme in NYC, and I'm sure before that in Boston), but it doesn't seem to be on the Victorian CD they have for sale. You might find other songs you like among their tracks, though. Some great stuff on Just Say Nowell (same web page), and in the Nowell Sing We Clear series from John & Tony & friends (look here.

For "Kris Kringle", somebody at CDSS may well be able to help you; otherwise you should contact the Revels folks in Boston.

These children will be very young so "Silent Night" and "Away in a manger" will be as lovely for me to listen to as for them to sing .For a bit of fun I may get them to dance along with the Zulu Squash box music,as long as nobody gets hurt it will be a riot.

Al

Peter, I would love that! Please send me the words. I'll hunt up the music or a recording.

Thank you.

Mark,

I can't vouch for the Revels arrangement, but I believe that Nym Cooke has an arrangement for Kris Kringle, I can almost swear by it. Nym was a Revels music director for a couple of Summer Revels and arranged some of their music, but he has a published book of his arranged 19th century pieces (his specialization) -- including a bunch of cool Victorian Christmas stuff, and I am almost positive that it has Kris Kringle, because we sing it all the time at his Christmas gatherings.

Just edited to add the reference to Nym Cooke's book, which is sold by Revels at Revels Store

"Awake to Joy: Christmas Carols for Part Singing," Compiled by Nym Cooke.

Description: This songbook has an excellent collection of Victorian party songs,Yorkshire pub carols, New England fuguing tunes, French noels, German Reformation part-songs, Southern shape-note pieces, exciting new versions of "Good King Wenceslas" and the "Boar's Head Carol," as well as original material. Many of these 57 pieces are not available anywhere else. Annotated and illustrated, with optional instrumental descants and interludes. (around $22)

The Victorian songs are really neat. Pic of Nym in 2002 from Sheldon Brown's Journal

nym-piano2002.jpg

Edited by greenferry

Yee Haa,

Round Yorkshire, they find it mildly amusing to sing "While Shepherds Watched", to different tunes, especially the painfully obvious "Ilkley Moor B'Ahtat".

Get all those liddle cowboys and cowgirls singing "While Shepherds Watched" to the tune of "Ghost Riders In The Sky". That is a real hoot!!!

Oh, Alan, please come to my school!! We'll even let you sing Christmas carols!

Mark, tell your benighted colleagues and community that the national standards state that as long as the music is taught in a cultural context, and not teaching that any one is true, and as long as a variety of cultures are represented over a given period of time, carols are allowed.

To quote the Music Educator's National Conference, "(1995), U.S. District Judge J. Thomas Greene dismissed a lawsuit (Bauchman v. West High School) filed by 15-year-old Rachel Bauchman over Christian songs performed by the choir at Salt Lake City's West High School. Ms. Bauchman claimed that the songs were sung prayers and therefore constituted a violation of the establishment clause. Rejecting this argument, the court said that music has a purpose in education beyond the mere words or notes in conveying a mood, teaching cultures and history, and broadening understanding of arts and that the selection of the music had a primarily secular purpose of teaching music appreciation." http://www.menc.org/publication/books/relig0.html

So, rock on with the carol singing already!

Oops, and I meant to second greenferry's suggestions! She and I have had fun via email finding out that we already know each other, or at least know of each other and have a lot of shared friends and background. Nym Cooke is one of the finest choral musicians I know, with an infectious personality as well.

(Barbara, thanks for reminding me about the book- my choir director is tearing her hair out over Christmas Eve and I'm going to pull it out of the music cabinet right now!)

So, rock on with the carol singing already! -- Allison

Allison,

That was a riot! What will the courts think up next?

Yes, the inimitable Nym Cooke is one of my favorite people, too. I used to be utterly fascinated watching him direct the Summer Revels when my son was part of the chorus.

I looked up your photos online, and I do remember our teams dancing out on the Apple Tour, out where I live now, and a couple of Marlboros.

Those Harrisville flamingos rule!

Not all my influence, but at my daughter's lower 6th concert given by music students studying for 'A' level music (University entrance exams for the non-uk types)

Amongst all the classical piano. trumpet, violin, and cello performances, my little lass, and her friend, played a concertina duet. My girl on her Aeola, and her friend on my baritone.

Well recieved by all (except the classical teaching staff!!) although most people in the room could not identify the instruments as concertinas.

Dave

Well recieved by all (except the classical teaching staff!!) although most people in the room could not identify the instruments as concertinas.

Dave

Dave, that makes my heart sink. Bravo to your daughter and shame on the "Classical teaching staff".

On another note: I've decided to perform the carols I wish before the A Christmas Carol without regard to religious content. After all Dickens refers to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" within the work itself, we are presenting in a stone chapel circa 1874 with religious stained glass windows, it is about Christmas.

Those offended will of course voice their concerns. Principle amongst them will be my dear colleague who objected to the Gospel Choir at our school being asked to perform "Amazing Grace" at a memorial service feeling that since the words were written by a former slave ship capitan, it would be an affront to the black students in organization. All those degrees and nobody drivin' the bus! :blink:

Thanks for the directions towards Kris Kringle, but I've asked my son Sean to do the lead singing with me and that has me very emotional and nervious. It will be all I can do to play the carols I know without weeping. He's never let me hear him sing until last month when I attended a show he was doing at his college. With a beautiful light baritone voice uneffected by singing lessons, Sean was wise not to let me hear him, for I might have tried to fix that which needed no fixing. My hands are shaking in anticipation of making music with my son.

Edited by Mark Evans

Dave

[evangelising mode] Last March I played two tunes on anglo concertina at the local music festival. The adjudicator was impressed and charmed, but intrigued about the instrument, and aksed me to explain it to the auditorium after I'd finished.

Next year I'm entering two more tunes, and a couple of duets with a local English player. [/evangelising mode]

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

Just want to add that all good citizens who are interested in Nym Cooke's absolutely unique and unparalleled arrangements for Victorian Christmas music may obtain it much faster and at a lower price by buying it directly from Nym Cooke Himself (personal communication), and this is how you can do it:

Support a Musician!

Send a check for $23 (that's $20 for the book plus $3 postage; Revels, Inc. charges $22 for the book, and $6 postage)

Nym Cooke

290 Wine Road

New Braintree, MA 01531

Jolly Old "Kris Kringle"! "When Good Old Kris Comes Round" Ho ho ho!

"Miss Hooligan's Parlour" and her Christmas Cake!

Unbelievable 19th Century Christmas singing delights of all sorts!

"Awake to Joy: Christmas Carols for Part Singing," Compiled by Nym Cooke.

Description: This songbook has an excellent collection of Victorian party songs,Yorkshire pub carols, New England fuguing tunes, French noels, German Reformation part-songs, Southern shape-note pieces, exciting new versions of "Good King Wenceslas" and the "Boar's Head Carol," as well as original material. Many of these 57 pieces are not available anywhere else. Annotated and illustrated, with optional instrumental descants and interludes. ($22 at Revels, and only $20 directly from the musician)

post-1501-1133831663.jpg

Edited by greenferry

You'll find a version of Kris Kringle on "A People's Carol", an LP published by Leader in 1973 as an anthology of songs sung at Christmas in pubs around the Sheffield and North Derbyshire area - a tradition which continues to this day. 04 Christmas Tree.mp3

If I've figured out how to attach properly, you'll find the MP3 here.

I actually got this LP as part of my fee for the recording of "Bees on Horseback" - the first Flowers and Frolics record (The rest of the fee was another LP from Neil Wayne's "remaindered" box)

Alex West

You'll find a version of Kris Kringle on "A People's Carol", an LP published by Leader in 1973 as an anthology of songs sung at Christmas in pubs around the Sheffield and North Derbyshire area - a tradition which continues to this day. 04 Christmas Tree.mp3

If I've figured out how to attach properly, you'll find the MP3 here.

I actually got this LP as part of my fee for the recording of "Bees on Horseback" - the first Flowers and Frolics record (The rest of the fee was another LP from Neil Wayne's "remaindered" box)

Alex West

Alex,

I got the first 17 seconds of it -- just the first couple of lines. It's wonderful!!! I wonder if there is any way to get the whole song? That would be great!! :D