Seeking Simple Arrangements For Duet

citycat

It is reported that few musicians actually reed directly from abc notation, but commonly it is used in the way you described, not just for sharing but easy adapting and arranging too...

In fact, once you've used abc for a while, it becomes second nature and can be read fairly easily, should you need to. I use it on set lists and other lists of tunes to remind me of the first bar or two of each tune. Even without the fields for key and time signatures, it's a handy aide-memoire, as long as you're dealing with the usual dance rhythms and "fiddle keys".

Searching for tune titles is another use: try going to tunedb.org and searching for FAA dAA and it'll take you straight to the Connaughtman's Rambles. Not 100% guaranteed but it'll often help you to find that tune you recall bits of from last night's session but don't know the name of.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's brilliant! same as when you have half a line from a pop song stuck in your head - round and round - and you have no idea what it is - or is it just me that that happens to? Regardless, Google has saved my sanity a number of times that way.

You should be aware that Brian Hayden is a member of the forum citycat, he's very helpful and approachable so if you have any Hayden system specific problems or questions just search the members for 'inventor' and send a PM.

ABC is an interesting subject of which I have more than a passing knowledge (by no means expert you understand but a few of those who have much greater knowledge grace these halls too) but do you really want to start exploring that in this topic where it may just serve to muddy the waters?

I'm happy to pitch in about ABC in a new topic and as a fluent music reader you'll grasp the basics immediately, you'll be blown away by it's simplicity and sheer power and endlessly frustrated by its limitations. It has more positives than negatives and everything about it is free including the software packages that provide a graphical front end to the simple text based language that is ABC. If you want a ride on the roller coaster you only need to ask!

Pete.

that's brilliant! same as when you have half a line from a pop song stuck in your head - round and round - and you have no idea what it is - or is it just me that that happens to? Regardless, Google has saved my sanity a number of times that way.

Should work even if what you have in mind is a thing like "what's love but a second hand in motion"... :D

ABC is an interesting subject of which I have more than a passing knowledge (by no means expert you understand but a few of those who have much greater knowledge grace these halls too) but do you really want to start exploring that in this topic where it may just serve to muddy the waters?

I'm happy to pitch in about ABC in a new topic....

Excellent idea!

Ah, I think I'm not quite being clear, then ... I can certainly make chords. What I'm looking for is the best way to use them. What are the correct rhythms for the various dance or country tunes? How should they be broken down? What gets accented? These are the types of things I'm looking for in an arrangement.

I'm coming a little late to this thread, but I would say that the best bet is to listen to people who know each tradition play the tunes (on pretty much any instrument) and to try to match the "feel" of what they do re accenting, phrasing, etc., rather than relying too heavily on theory and written music. BTW, I live in the Bay Area and play duet too, and I put together my own arrangements. Perhaps our paths will cross at some point.