Little Finger Tendon

michael sam wild

My son gashed his left little (pinkie) finger on broken glass on New Year's Eve and has cut a tendon on the penultmate joint. He is to have plastic microsurgery. Has anyone any experience of the op. and recuperation? How long can it take?.

I did a similar thing a few years back but it was nerve damage in my case Concertina playing was a big part of my therapy and it is OK at the minute although it aches in this cold weather..

My son is left handed and a guitarist and keyboard player and is doing a music course at London College of Music so it will be awkward.:(

Edited by michael sam wild

Michael,

I had a very bad accident in 1979. I broke a couple of fingers, my wrist,and my elbow with the bone breaking the skin and damaging the muscle and tendon. I was fortunate that the doctor at the hospital I went to was a world famous sport doctor who performs surgery on baseball players' elbows and shoulders. My convalescent was about 6 months. I worked with a physical therapist but after I went to a chiropractor who, in addition to certain exercises, did some sort of electric muscle stimulus that was amazing and helped to a speedy recovery. I also went to an acupuncturist (still do) after those treatments. Just playing the concertina a little at a time got me back in shape very quickly.

I hope all goes well.

rss

Guest Martin Gibson

Piano type finger exercises may help.

Rest fingers on Flat surface keep Index Middle and Ring touching surface, lift Pinky, do this with all fingers.

Alternatively use a grip master for strengthening fingers.

Piano type finger exercises may help.

Rest fingers on Flat surface keep Index Middle and Ring touching surface, lift Pinky, do this with all fingers.

Alternatively use a grip master for strengthening fingers.

Ah yes. I used a soft tennis ball or even a "nurf" style ball to squeeze.

rss

Thanks for the advice. He had the op today sounds pretty brutal! Cut from finger to wrist , under general anaesthetic ,in a series of zigzags and now in a pot.

Never carry a glass bottle of rum at a new year party!

Edited by michael sam wild

Not quite the same thing, but I snapped a tendon in my left thumb two years ago. One of the two tendons in the index finger was cut and transferred across to the thumb. I now have about 99.9% use of the index finger and 95% use of the thumb which is pretty good, I think. I was in plaster for six weeks and the thumb joints had stiffened to the point where they were almost immobile when it (the pot!) was removed but the physio exercises sorted that out in four or five weeks. I hope your son's op is as successful.

As an aside, my op was done under local anaesthetic (from the left shoulder down) and was fascinating to watch!