What's This About Monkeys Anyway?

Hi Hilary,

Thanks for the birthday wish. I play a 120 bass accordion. I also have some smaller ones to take if I play at jams. I have to check the basses on them, but I have a 40 bass that is very light and easy to carry which I love. I have a 16 but miss the extra basses on that one. Do you play your gran's? What fun.

Helen :rolleyes:

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play the accordian as much now as I used to, it was too bulky for packing into morris tour buses, so now I've got a concertina and a whistle that lives in an old mink skin, no monkeys though.

Well that's okay Hilary, as long as you fondly pat the piano accordion from time to time.

Pay no attention to Stephen. He is jealous of your mink coat for your whistles and afraid that his will find out.

Mark, restrain that dog.

Restrain Obi? Don't have the heart. He's the only one in the house who actually enjoys my playing! Me big bully lays right beside me chair contentedly grunting as I squeeze away. How could I bring myself to restrain an elite musical conoscente! :D

He sorely put me to the test after eating my best pair of deerskin gloves however. :angry:

My Italian ain't what it used ta be! <_<

Edited by Mark Evans

You are absolutely right, Mark. Pamper that dog if he likes your concertina playing. Er I take it that grunting is a sign of appreciation. My little dog howls. I am not speculating on what that means.

Stephen, minks for the tina. Go for it.

Helen

Edited by Helen

Yes, It's the same sound he makes when given a good scratch on the belly or behind the ears.

He shows a definite opinion about music. I've been listening to Phoebe Carrai's recording of the Bach solo cello Suites (astounding, and high time someone with a baritone EC should start playing them...Jim?). Obi contentedly assumes his position beside my chair grunting.

Middle son (the Gothic Warrior) wants to share with me a band called Flogging Molly. So we throw the CD in it the player and wow the volume! Obi got very low to the ground and ran upstairs. Perhaps he thought it was Flogging Obi. :P

P.S. edit: Can't stay away from the recorded links page. On the Suites: Why not Duet system? Kurt Braun's rendition of "Jesu" brought a tear to me eye, bravo! What does this have to do with monkeys?

Edited by Mark Evans

I've been listening to Phoebe Carrai's recording of the Bach solo cello Suites (astounding, and high time someone with a baritone EC should start playing them...Jim?).

Baritone doesn't go low enough. "Bass" is the cello-equivalent.

I have the music and the instrument, but I'm sure I would need to practice a great deal first, and I should definitely listen to some others' interpretations (on the cello) first.

I have performed (though not recorded) the 2-part Invention in Dm (No. 4) more than once... once playing the right-hand part on a treble English, with a cellist friend playing the left-hand part, and the other times with a fiddler friend playing the right hand and my bass English on the left-hand part.

Great fun! :) :)

Great fun indeed!

Jim, you have the instrument then and the music! Well, this busybody monkey (attempting to justify this bit on the current thread) :D might suggest starting with the Pablo Casals recordings...outstanding! You might later think about a few Baroque cellists like Pheobe because they are very spare with their use of vibrato.

Truely a worthy long term project Jim.

Ooooooooo Mark,

This is brilliant. Assigning long term projects to others instead of taking them on yourself. Sort of like a music contractor.

Helen

Maybe I can come up with some projects for Jim. Well no you already have Jim. Maybe Stephen can *monkey* around with something. If he takes his new tina out of its mink coat.

:lol:

Edited to add the lost c in contractor.

Edited by Helen

Yes Helen,

As if Jim didn't have enough musical irons in the fire already. But in the process of reading Jim's response I came up with a project for myself!

A couple of years ago my wife and I were asked to do a benefit concert for our childrens school. We collaborated with another couple from the school and came up with an evening of Cole Porter and Gerschwin songs. Our collaborators play violin (right hand in the score) and viola da gamba (left and in the score) respectively. It was a complete blast. Folks loved it (I loved it). We put on tux and evening gowns (I wore a tux for the record) and it was a total hoot!

Why not treble EC on right hand and bass EC or some other system on the left. I am a bit unsure of my ability to play the right hand and sing full out (gonna give it a try). This little monkey had best get busy eh? :D .

"In the still of the night, as I gaze from my window..." :lol:

Edited by Mark Evans

...an evening of Cole Porter and Gerschwin songs.  Our collaborators play violin (right hand in the score) and viola da gamba (left and in the score) respectively.

In that same concert where the cellist joined me for the 2-part invention I was joined on another number by a friend playing musical saw. Then when the audience called for an encore I had them both join me -- completely unrehearsed -- in Stephen Foster's "Beautiful Dreamer".

Brought down the house! :D