Two-system Issues

Since I'm damned to hell anyway, I might as well take my Edgley and my Jack with me.

Oh wait, I'm going to Palestine, TX which is hilly and pretty and warm and green, not hell!

I feel much better!

Okay, seriously, here's my question.

As you all probably know by now, I'm battling the damned er, working on the old-timey tunes for the SW Squeeze-in at the end of March.

And as you all probably know, I am expecting delivery of my Jack English baritone either today or Tuesday.

Problem: I have been playing anglo for the last 2 1/2 years.

Problem: My anglo does not have all the accidentals I need to play one of the tunes. Magnolia's Waltz, to be specific. I'm missing the low G# below middle C.

Ergo, it *might* be easier to try to play the tune on the Jack, even if it will all be an octave lower than for everyone else.

I am a better musician than I was 2 1/2 years ago when I started playing concertina. I've gotten more adept at reading, at playing by ear, and I took a basic music theory class fall 2004. But I am, in all honesty, still very much a beginner.

On the other hand, this is a totally new instrument with a totally different fingering system that I have not even tried .

Is it total folly to try to get a piece of music, tune only, no chords or ornamentation, performance-ready on an instrument I currently do not know how to play -- in 5 weeks?

Part of me is standing up and screaming, "DUH! Yes!" and part of me is thinking, "Hmm, would be a good stretch for you musician-wise."

Which part should I heed?

Rhomylly

I am not in the postion to give you an answer to your question, but it's my own experience that I am glad to use my Jackie for the "upgrade program" of the Concertina Connection.

I own my Jackie since September 2003 and I seriously tried...... to come to the conclusion that this is not my instrument :( .

However there are other C.Netters who have no problem at all with changing between EC and Anglo.

I sincerely hope that you are one of them ;) .

I no longer have an English (a deficit I fully intend to correct when I can!) but when I did, I found it didn't take much time to crank out a few simple tunes and chords. You have to think of it as a completely different instrument, not the same instrument with different fingering. And give yourself time- pick just one or two tunes. But I'm pretty sure you'll be able to do it.

Besides, could you really keep your hands off the Jack that long???

Is it total folly to try to get a piece of music, tune only, no chords or ornamentation, performance-ready on an instrument I currently do not know how to play -- in 5 weeks?

We're not talking about fast Irish reels -- or bluegrass -- here. So the answer is YES. If you find that you're incompatible with the English -- as some do, -- then fair enough. But if it's eventually gonna push your buttons and not just vice versa, then such a 5-week program is a good way to get started.