Arran And Concertina's

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are plans for the next arran concertina event, and are any of you going to Swaledale? I'm hoping to but Swaledale clashes with a conference in USA. Perhaps I can manage one day at Swaledale but I am consoling myself thinking of Arran!

Patricia

Edited by Padraigin

Here's what it says on the website:-

The next Arran Concertina Event will be held from 6th to 9th October 2006.
Chris

Edited to add PS. We'll be going. You might also consider the Swedish Squeeze In in mid May.

Edited by Chris Timson

I wish Martin and I could be there this year, but will just have to hang out until 2007.

So to anyone that is attending this year, please take lots of photos and if possible, sound files. We'll be thinking of you all :)

Cheers

Morgana :)

Samantha,

I'd like to come, sounds like it's going to be a terrific get-together! If you can do the distillery the day before or at a separate time that would be all the better -- I'll be there for that too (having visited the Talisker distillery a year ago, it was memorable).

My only difficulty is that I have no wheels and will be arriving at some airport or other, probably Edinburgh. I wonder if anybody's driving out of Edinburgh and could spare a lift? I know I can take trains and buses, but it would be so much more fun to go bye-bye in a car with folks and see the countryside. I'll help pay expenses if anybody's going that way. I would get there a couple of days early, so plenty of time to negotiate the travellin' and the optional shenanigans ...

What's the best way to get a concertina box on an airplane? Do they make you open them up for security?

I can't wait to hear more about it!!

Barbara

Samantha,

I'd like to come, sounds like it's going to be a terrific get-together! If you can do the distillery the day before or at a separate time that would be all the better -- I'll be there for that too (having visited the Talisker distillery a year ago, it was memorable).

My only difficulty is that I have no wheels and will be arriving at some airport or other, probably Edinburgh. I wonder if anybody's driving out of Edinburgh and could spare a lift? I know I can take trains and buses, but it would be so much more fun to go bye-bye in a car with folks and see the countryside. I'll help pay expenses if anybody's going that way. I would get there a couple of days early, so plenty of time to negotiate the travellin' and the optional shenanigans ...

What's the best way to get a concertina box on an airplane? Do they make you open them up for security?

I can't wait to hear more about it!!

Barbara

When the next Arran event can be combined with a visit to my family in Dundee, it might be possible that I travel to Arran from Dundee. Just in case...

First things first however: the SSI !!

When the next Arran event can be combined with a visit to my family in Dundee, it might be possible that I travel to Arran from Dundee. Just in case...

First things first however: the SSI !!

Sounds like a long drive, from the Netherlands!

Edited by greenferry

Sounds like a long drive, from the Netherlands!

Did it several times before (driving to Dundee). Most of the disctance is done by boat (to Newcastle). After that it's a great trip along the East-shore going up to Edinburgh. Driving through Northumberland and passing places like Morpeth and Berwick.

It'll take you about 5-6 hours to drive from Newcastle to Dundee. From Dundee to Ardrossan to take the boat to Arran will take about 2 hours. So it's not such a long drive. :)

it's a great trip along the East-shore going up to Edinburgh. Driving through Northumberland and passing places like Morpeth and Berwick.

I've taken the M6 through Carlisle, coming out of Heathrow to Edinburgh, twice. My main experience with the Eastern shores was driving from Orkneys along the A9 in late Dec. 2003, just as a major blizzard hit. Arran has the advantage of the Gulf Stream. What a delightful location for a concertina gathering!

My only difficulty is that I have no wheels and will be arriving at some airport or other, probably Edinburgh. I wonder if anybody's driving out of Edinburgh and could spare a lift?

I'm hoping to get to Arran this year, but another event clashed with it last year. :(

I won't be certain until April, but if there's no clash I'll be going to Arran.

If I can make it, you're welcome to a lift from Edinburgh.

I think there are a few old threads about this. The main conclusions seem to be:

... Usually there's no trouble.

... Calling it a "little accordion" rather than a "concertina" is less likely to frighten the ignorant.

... Your experience may vary. (Mine has.)

It's gratifying to see the interest building up so early! Last year's arrangement, with a trip to the distillery on the Friday afternoon seemed to work well as the majority of participants arrived on the same boat (the 12.30 sailing from Ardrossan), so I'll probably do that again.

I'll work on costing up the event (it'll be one night longer than last year's, to include a visit to our local session as an official part of the proceedings, so will cost a little more) and getting leaflets ready to distribute at SSI, Swaledale, Bielefeld and anywhere else I can think of soon (volunteers who were at last year's event to act as information points at any other concertina events they are attending this year would be most welcome).

Briefly for those who don't know - this event will be a very informal weekend of music making for concertina players and the concertina tolerant. There will be no official "tutors" - participants will simply share what we know (tunes, musical styles, tricks to playing the system of your choice). More information about the first event, held in 2005, can be found by following the links in my signature.

All the best

Samantha

Samantha,

I know you haven't figured out yet when you can have the workshop, whether October or November. I'm hoping for November (last two weeks would be super), but if not can probably make it in October.

My 24-year old son James got excited when I told him about it and wants to come, too. He's basically a melodeon / fiddle / guitar player / Morris dancer, but picked up my concertina and was able to play it within 20 minutes. He is a singer. He could come if it's later in November, most likely (has exams in October or early November).

Otherwise, I'll be there anyway. I'm really looking forward to it!

Barbara

Samantha,

I know you haven't figured out yet when you can have the workshop, whether October or November. I'm hoping for November (last two weeks would be super), but if not can probably make it in October.

My 24-year old son James got excited when I told him about it and wants to come, too. He's basically a melodeon / fiddle / guitar player / Morris dancer, but picked up my concertina and was able to play it within 20 minutes. He is a singer. He could come if it's later in November, most likely (has exams in October or early November).

Otherwise, I'll be there anyway. I'm really looking forward to it!

Barbara

Barbara

I'm afraid the date is already set - 6th to 9th October (see my signature!). The concertina-tolerant are also most welcome to come! If your son can't make it this year, there's always next year ... !

Samantha

Edited by Samantha

I've already told Samantha that I'll be there - all I need now is time off and no storms!

I've even learned a couple of new tunes that I'm trying to get 'perfect' for the event. I'm a perfectionist and I hate it if it's not right.

Sam - will Jamie be there and do I need to pack the accordian again?

post-918-1141514974_thumb.jpg

James' rendition of "When Rita Leaves" was definitely one of the highlights for me of last year's ACE. :D

[Great photo Hilary :)]