What's Your Ideal Situation?

Well my current situation is pretty pleasing to me. My wife plays mountain and "bowed" (yes bowed!) dulcimer and I clawhammer banjo and Anglo tina. We do a combination of Irish, Welsh, Scottish and traditional Southern Appalachian music. The tina and bowed dulcimer really go well togehter and the mtn dulcimer takes on a zouk like sound when she flat picks it!

Mark

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce,

I love your dream. I, of course, would capsize the kayak and there would go my concertina. But bikes are doable. Or perhaps a floatation device for the concertina.

Derek,

What kind of band were you in that didn't have instruments? (If it is gonna be singing, forget it, I don't want to know).

Back to thread,

Hmmm haven't decided yet. Still thinkin'.

Helen :) :rolleyes: :blink:

and hammered dulcimer, also common among concertina players
Which just goes to show that concertina players are people of taste and discernment.

AND multi-talented.

Wasn't there a discussion a while back concerning the number of concertina players who also play French horn? :)

Oy, yeah. I think there are a few cello players among us, too. :)

Brass seems to be a theme. I play cornet, Stuart plays something wierd like tuba or euphonium and Derek hosts the boosey & hawkes brass museum on his barge :lol:

The tone of the concertina is unique but to my ear it can suggest brass, uillean pipes, violin etc depending how it is played.

Bruce,

I love your dream. I, of course, would capsize the kayak and there would go my concertina. But bikes are doable. Or perhaps a floatation device for the concertina.

Helen :)  :rolleyes:  :blink:

Helen,

No problem, the concertina would be in a dry bag in a watertight compartment inside the kayak. Just so you know, due to previous trouble I do have a no accordion rule on kayak trips. A few years ago, traveling with an accordion in the kayak, I stopped on a busy beach to get water. I mistakenly left the hatch open with the accordion visable. You guessed it, by the time I returned with the water, several people had tossed in more accordions. I almost sank trying to paddle with all that dead weight. BTW, one is still getting good use as my anchor.

bruce

A few years ago, traveling with an accordion in the kayak, I stopped on a busy beach to get water. I mistakenly left the hatch open with the accordion visable. You guessed it, by the time I returned with the water, several people had tossed in more accordions. I almost sank trying to paddle with all that dead weight. BTW, one is still getting good use as my anchor.

bruce

I'm sorry to admit it (Helen) but I really laughed loud here, while I'm sitting alona at my PC early in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A few years ago, traveling with an accordion in the kayak, I stopped on a busy beach to get water. I mistakenly left the hatch open with the accordion visable. You guessed it, by the time I returned with the water, several people had tossed in more accordions. I almost sank trying to paddle with all that dead weight. BTW, one is still getting good use as my anchor.

Aren't you glad it wasn't a real piano! :o :D

Sounds good to me. Arran Big Band here we come!

Hey! We're thinking of going back to Ireland Late September/Early October! Is there a mini-concertina gathering in the wind? :D

Henk, the fiddle in a bluegrass band would be very normal but an Irish or Scots fiddler who can dirty it up on occation along with the hammered dulcimer and a bodhran would go right to the "insanity" I'm looking for. I'm very interested in the connections in american folk music and this sort of exploration for one concert project is what has been on my mind.

The bluegrass buckaroos have willingly followed me down some mighty odd roads already. This bit about a bodhran and dulcimer could put the poor bass player back on the bottle and start him thinking about tar and feathers :huh: .

Were I to add my last on the wish list...the dreaded clawhammer banjo...I would surely be found floating face down in the Charles River with the bass players face painted blue howeling at the moon. :ph34r:

Oh, my ideal situation- it's been so fun reading about yours that I haven't done much more than think about mine. Fortunately, I have most of my ideals right here. I play in a duo, :) :) which sometimes expands to trio, quartet, and beyond :) :) :) :) :) . The two of us play anglo concertina and harp, which is a combination made in heaven. Just now we're working on a set for NEFFA on the collected music of Bunting, Petrie and Joyce, aka ancient Irish music. We also play English country dance, and anything else that suits our fancy :D

We sometimes add recorder, and sometimes I manage to put down the 'tina and create a recorder duet along with the harp. :) :) :) We've been known to add guitar, with the tina and harp and tenor recorder creating a lush and rich variety and texture. :) :) :) :) On very rare occasions a standup bass player strolls by and gives us that ground sound.

To top it off- we're all confident and experienced SINGERS :lol: so the harmonies are otherworldly. Hard to achieve with the duo, so my ideal situation is when we're all able to find the time to work together.

An uillean piper who don't not take themselves real seriously

A compassionate bass player

A quiet snare drummer

A happy accordion player

A jack-of-all-trades guitarist

A drunken wedding

And anything that is able to mess up the ideal

(plus weird me, with my Molly)

:)