Chording/bass Lines

Being sans teacher, I've come to rely on this forum to be my electronic guide in the wilderness of concertina playing. As such, I have a question I could use some guidance on.

I find myself able to learn melodies rather easily, but I just can't figure out what to do as far as "backing" sounds. I listen to a lot of concertina artists and there is a wide different in how the chording/bass line/syncopation is accomplished.

My question then is for a given style (East Clare, West Clare, County Kerry, etc) is there a "typical" way of providing accompaniment? My personal taste seems to gravitate towards the County Clare style, if that helps with what I am looking towards.

Thanks for any advice offered.

-jeff

Hi Jeff

I could reccommend for example listen to Noel Hill's playing as a good place to start. His playing often emulates and has been influenced by the pipes. You can hear him using (when playing in the keys of G and D, on a C/G concertina) The low G on the push and pull and the D on the push and pull (often on the back beat) as he is playing a melody. The more one listens the more one will hear.

If you listen to Mrs. Crotty or Kitty Hayes you can hear their use of octaves along with the melody.

If you are inclined you can learn straight from (one of) the source and study with Noel Hill in the summer. It's a priceless opportunity and a chance not to reinvent the wheel and not to learn bad habits that will inhibit your progress rather than help it along.

Richard

Edited by richard